Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

if you have China do you use it?

I have a full set from my first marriage that I absolutely love. I used it exclusively after the divorce. But now I have a 14 year old SD, a 2.5 year old son, and a man who may or may not remember it's China. Should I use it?

The alternative was that we were going to buy Corell because it stacks nice, won't break & is light enough for DS to carry to & from table.

Advertisement

neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: if you have China do you use it?

My boys are 7,5, and almost 4 and we use our china a lot. I wouldn't say "all the time" because we make it a point for them to know its "Special" but we let them handle it yes. I figure if i spend my whole life waiting for them to be "old enough" to use it it won't get used much. yes it's expensive, and mine happens to be discontinued..... but i love it, and want to enjoy it, so we use it for parties, birthdays, etc.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks Maggie! I have a feeling we are going to. This means my 14 year old SD will be banned from doing dishes as she is unable to stack correctly and bangs them around when she is angry. She'll be thrilled. Until she wants $$ =P

Then again - maybe the fact that they ARE special will get her to at least stack correctly? It would be worth a broken plate if she learned to control herself.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My set was given to me by my grandparents - so we use it for holidays, etc, but not everyday.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have fine china that I love and we use it for special occasion (not so much every day). However, I do have a very nice set of dishes that we use everyday. It probably is considered "china" but has a little more heft to it and not quite as expensive as my "good china".

One thing I might recommend is for your 2.5 year old son to have his own "set" of dishes that are for children. My sister and I grew up with our own "dishes" (they were strawberry shortcake!) and we loved them! Plus, it allowed my parents to enjoy my mom's nice dishes

One thing I love about using nice dishes is how the meal feels. To me it says "no cell phones" and "turn off the tv" and let's just enjoy each other and the food I guess I feel like the dishes give the table a push toward authority

Happily getting my Groupon on
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tiffany - I actually was thinking about getting him his own dishes! LOL Doesn't solve the 14 yr old though, sigh.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
Tiffany - I actually was thinking about getting him his own dishes! LOL Doesn't solve the 14 yr old though, sigh.

Happily getting my Groupon on
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes. I try to use it often. With friends for coffee, luncheons, dinner parties with friends. Also for holidays. I love my china. My gfs come.over once a month and we we have couple dinner parties about once a month too.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

My everyday dishes are fiestaware so they are pretty nice. We haven't lost a single piece in 18 months. Ds is 9 and I've always expressed how important it is to take care of things. I trust him with the dishes but not my 3 nieces who are older. They've never been taught to take care of things and can be very careless. I do have a set of china that belonged to my great grandmother that we use on special occasions...birthdays and holidays and such. To me, I think it is a nice touch to use good dishes. I refuse to use paper plates. We went through a kitchen remodel and didn't use a single paper plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
Thanks Maggie! I have a feeling we are going to. This means my 14 year old SD will be banned from doing dishes as she is unable to stack correctly and bangs them around when she is angry. She'll be thrilled. Until she wants $$ =P

Then again - maybe the fact that they ARE special will get her to at least stack correctly? It would be worth a broken plate if she learned to control herself.
I'd make her pay for replacements and that will teach her to be careful. You can buy replacements for almost every china on replacements.com. It might be expensive but they can be replaced. I was even able to find replacement pieces to my great grandmothers set and they are pretty old. She had a service for 12 but a few pieces were broken over the years and I replaced them.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a complete service for 12 of Tiffany Limoges "Monet" that was my parents' from when they got married. The set includes some things we just have no use for - like demitasse cups - but we do use most of the dishes for holiday meals, romantic dinners if DD is asleep, and occasionally for a fancy family meal. They aren't dishwasher-safe, which is really the only reason I don't use them exclusively. We do use our real silver as our everyday silverware.

If you're curious, this is the pattern we have:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7447516