Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:
What Would YOU Do? (ie. Someone tell me what to do!)

My oldest is going to be 4 in August. I had originally planned on sending him to preschool, but now I am considering homeschooling. I have two younger girls, aged 2 and 9 months. My 4-year-old is the type that likes learning, he knows his ABCs and most of their sounds, his numbers, etc, so I was thinking of starting him on My Father's World kindergarten program, and then repeating it again when he is 5 if he needs to. But I'm getting myself stuck with debating between the pros and cons of the different options. Someone tell me what to do! Do I...

1. Send him to a private preschool and begin homeschooling around K or 1st grade. -- the pros of this is that his younger sister will get more one-on-one time with me, which she seems to need, and he will get the socialization and experience of a "real" school setting. Also I was looking forward to the less stressful days with one kid in school. The cons -- basically, the cost. :/ That and I plan to homeschool him at some point, I just had in mind that it would be later into elementary school. Also all of the other cons about going to school and why homeschool is appealing in the first place.

2. Don't do anything this year. Wait until he is 5. If anything, do some notebooks from the book store, but have a generally unstructured year with the 3 kids until he is kindergarten age and then make this decision.

3. Start My Father's World preschool curriculum instead of kindergarten.

4. Or do what I was debating about above and start My Father's World kindergarten curriculum in the fall and officially start a structured school year of homeschooling.

What are your thoughts mamas?

Advertisement

SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Amandamama
Registered Users

Re: What Would YOU Do? (ie. Someone tell me what to do!)

I'd do Five in a Row this year & thn decide if you want to do a workbook style curriculum the following year.
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine will be 4 in April and I have a 2 yo and 9 month old. And I know I will not send him anywhere. My plan is a mix of 2 and 4. I plan to start a structured school plan this Fall, but prob not using a curriculum yet. We've got our letters and letter sounds down, writing and numbers need more work. I plan to work with the 2 yo as well so he's included and have Leap Frog videos for him when I need him detracted. I used BobJones 1-12th grade and am not familiar with the others. I need to look up this one! It sounds like we're facing a lot of the same parenting decisions and challenges! Blessings to you!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Having had 3 kids that sound like your son, I would just let him be a kid, give him opportunities to explore and ask questions, but nothing formal for now. The only structure or formal thing I would add would bethosethings he specifically asks for. For instance, 2 of mine were asking how to read when they were 4 , so we did do that.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Having had 3 kids that sound like your son, I would just let him be a kid, give him opportunities to explore and ask questions, but nothing formal for now. The only structure or formal thing I would add would bethosethings he specifically asks for. For instance, 2 of mine were asking how to read when they were 4 , so we did do that.
I agree with this. I don't do formal schooling until at least 5 if not 6 but I know that is not the most popular opinion. Until then I prefer just letting kids be kids. Lots of reading together and art projects but also plenty of unstructured time.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Having had 3 kids that sound like your son, I would just let him be a kid, give him opportunities to explore and ask questions, but nothing formal for now. The only structure or formal thing I would add would be those things he specifically asks for. For instance, 2 of mine were asking how to read when they were 4 , so we did do that.
Yep, I was going to say this as well. Don't do anything formal. Don't send him anywhere. Just have fun being together. You could go on nature walks and talk about things you see. You could join a storytime at the library. You could do some coloring of printable letters or numbers from online (free) if you want to introduce stuff like that.

My almost 4 year old enjoys watching the Leapfrog Letter Factory movie so he will do that. We play fine motor skills games because he struggles in that area so I have him do things like find hidden objects in a container of rice or move buttons from one bowl to another with tweezers. I talked to him about making patterns today using different colored animals while he ate breakfast. He has lots of puzzles that he likes to do. We play board games together which helps him learn to follow rules and take turns. In other words, we do fun things together that will also encourage him to learn new things.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I agree with this. I don't do formal schooling until at least 5 if not 6 but I know that is not the most popular opinion. Until then I prefer just letting kids be kids. Lots of reading together and art projects but also plenty of unstructured time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26 View Post
Yep, I was going to say this as well. Don't do anything formal. Don't send him anywhere. Just have fun being together. You could go on nature walks and talk about things you see. You could join a storytime at the library. You could do some coloring of printable letters or numbers from online (free) if you want to introduce stuff like that.

My almost 4 year old enjoys watching the Leapfrog Letter Factory movie so he will do that. We play fine motor skills games because he struggles in that area so I have him do things like find hidden objects in a container of rice or move buttons from one bowl to another with tweezers. I talked to him about making patterns today using different colored animals while he ate breakfast. He has lots of puzzles that he likes to do. We play board games together which helps him learn to follow rules and take turns. In other words, we do fun things together that will also encourage him to learn new things.
all this!! just love on him and let him be a little kid! they miss out on so much of that in school these days. and research shows that little kids learn the most when they are playing. so tons of playing....tons of reading....tons of hugs and kisses.....just enjoy him
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Just give them a lot of fun experiences this year. Read a lot, do a lot of crafts, and spend a lot of time outside
Start K when hes older and keep him home
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also have a 4 year old, 2 year old, and 8 month old....and a 7 year old, and 5 year old. With the experience of schooling my older 2, I would definitely say let him play and experience life. But it wouldn't hurt to possibly do the MFW Kindergarten half paced or 2x week or something like that if you feel he's ready and wants to learn. And then the following year, repeat it at normal speed. Every child is different, but I felt when my oldest son was 4, was ready for something more structured...just every once in a while. He loved "doing school" but I also gave him lots of chances to play outside and just have fun. Just don't push him for advancement (especially this early) and you should be fine.

Last edited by HeatherDanae; 03-19-2013 at 06:48 AM.
HeatherDanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would NOT send him to school if you plan in HSing him. That was my biggest mistake with my first. He loved school and begged me for years to let him go back. This was PS, I can't afford private.