Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another question

Domestic adoptions, tell me all about them, How likely is it to get an infant right from the hospital? What is the cost range? Any other info on domestic adoptions of infants/newborns would be great.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another question

Good chance of getting baby right from the hospital. Or 2-8 weeks old from a transition home (sometimes called cradle care).

Our first daughter came home from the hospital with us. It was a legal risk placement meaning parental rights were not terminated, so she could have gone back to bmom at any point. She was with us 6 weeks before parental rights were terminated.

Our second daughter went home with her birth mom for a couple of weeks while birth dad figured out what he was going to do. She then spent four weeks in cradle care while parental rights were terminated.

Cost -- Each of our adoptions were through Catholic Charities and cost about $15,000 (2008 and 2010). The practice of parents paying birth mom living expenses is on the rise. Living, legal and medical expenses combined with agency/lawyer fees can easily push a straightforward adoption into the $30k range. I would say current *normal* domestic adoption costs are $30-40k.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I brought my son right home from the hospital. I first heard about him from the agency a few hours after his birth. I first saw him at two days old when I picked him up and brought him home. Birthmom signed away her rights at 3 days old. NJ has a 72 hour wait before birthfamilies can sign termination. After that he was essentially mine and at approximately 7 months it was finalized in court uncontested.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cost was approximately 30K and with him I waited 18 months.
I am awaiting a second domestic adoption and have already been waiting over 4 years with the same agency.

Last edited by Kimmyann; 03-19-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something we ran into with private adoption is there are not many agencies that allow you to select gender. The ones who do are typically the larger, national agencies and there is usually an extra charge for it. The national agencies also tend to be more expensive. I'd be surprised if you'd spend under 20K. Closer to 30K seems more like the norm now. We haven't done a private adoption, but have done tons of research on it in the last three years and came close to signing with three different agencies at different times.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Our son was adopted via private domestic adoption. It ran us total around $30K. I was in the room for his birth and the hospital gave us our own room so we could room in with him. Mom signed the day after he was born and he's been with us ever since.

For the agencies we worked with, we were presented with situations and asked if we wanted to be shown. We would be given very general, limited info that often included due date, the gender of the baby if know, any alcohol/drug exposure, and if the birthdad was know or in the picture.

We were pretty open to a lot, so we were shown to different expectant moms a couple times a month. We were chosen about 4-5 months after we went active with our agencies (we were working with 3), and our son was born about a month later.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
We brought our LOs home from the hospital after spending a few weeks in the NICU but we were there with them the whole time. FL allows higher BM living fees, and due to the high medical costs of twins, travel, plus dealing with 2 agencies, ours was more in the $50-60K range when all was said and done. Most of those I know locally have spent around $30K and all have brought baby directly home from the hospital.

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is online now   Reply With Quote