Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've had 3 kids in EI for speech issues. One speech delayed who finished with speech last year in third grade, one who had artic issues who finished with speech in K and my YDS (see below). Both of the older 2 are in the top of their class and YDS seems to be following in their footprints.
My YDS has a speech issue called Childhood Apraxia of Speech. He's been in speech since just before he turned 2 and we found out he had apraxia just before he turned three. (Dec. birthday- so he's just over 3 now) It is so easy to wonder what I did wrong that he has this problem esp. once I found out that it is neurologically based. But I have to remember that most likely nothing I did caused it and there was likely nothing I could do to prevent it. I just have to go from here and get him the services he needs as well as to remember to make time in our day for his speech homework. Esp. right now as we have to take a short break from speech while his insurance approves more therapy.

:Hugs; You will do the best you can for your son and that is all that is needed.

Advertisement

m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Def not your fault. I know it's hard and you feel like you have been hit with a ton of bricks, but take a deep breath and know he will get the help he needs. Better to catch it now than later.

My little guy is also speech delayed. When he turned 3, he could only say 4-5 understandable words. And only attempted to say about 10. When he was 2 I figured he would be fine, still at 2 1/2 he could only say a couple of words I decided I needed to call. He started out with the state program and before he turned 3 they transferred him to the local school district preschool program. This past school year was his first year and he can now speak 4-5 word sentences, talks ALL the time . It is still really hard to understand him, but at least he is talking! He was diagnosed with apraxia also. His IEP review is the beg of May. I really hope he can qualify for the program next year as well b/c he still has a way to go.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update on Andy (delayed speech)

I know how you feel. Please don't feel guilty about it, instead think about the future.
My 5yo gets speech three times per week and has some sensory issues. He qualified for 30 minutes once a week through the AEA/school and goes to a private speech therapist twice a week for 30 minutes. We use coping techniques at home for his sensory issues. It's amazing how far he's come. At 3.5yo he had no words and would have melt downs over sensory issues, now at 5yo, he'll talk your head off and talks through issues.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
airmans_angel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. Things have been very hard especially since I just thought he was just hyper and I was getting very upset at him because he would never settle down, and now I know why and I have to catch myself before I get upset. Like today was very hard because he was driving me insane and wouldnt just sit still no matter what, even at dinner time.
airmans_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is not your fault at all. If anything, you are doing a great job in getting him the help he needs.

My son has a severe sensory processing disorder and my daughter has it as well. We are just starting to figure out the speech issues my son has. He has a birth defect that affects his mouth and he has become increasingly harder to understand as he gets older. I can relate to the ups and downs of the sensory issues and the different sides of it. There is a wonderful book about sensory processing disorder that explores all sides and types of it. It's called The Out Of Sync Child. Anyone we have worked with has recommended that book. It really explains a lot and what you can do. My son did EI and attends a special needs preschool now. It sounds like you are on the right track with this and doing a great job. He's lucky to have you in his corner

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls (10, 13 & 19) & 1 sweet little guy (3)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
mrsrozberry
Registered Users

My almost 4 year old is in prek because of his speech issues. He barely talked when he started in October, now 5 months later he doesn't stop talking. He wouldn't even repeat words 5 months ago now he repeats everything and is even singing songs.
mrsrozberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
airmans_angel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
It is not your fault at all. If anything, you are doing a great job in getting him the help he needs.

My son has a severe sensory processing disorder and my daughter has it as well. We are just starting to figure out the speech issues my son has. He has a birth defect that affects his mouth and he has become increasingly harder to understand as he gets older. I can relate to the ups and downs of the sensory issues and the different sides of it. There is a wonderful book about sensory processing disorder that explores all sides and types of it. It's called The Out Of Sync Child. Anyone we have worked with has recommended that book. It really explains a lot and what you can do. My son did EI and attends a special needs preschool now. It sounds like you are on the right track with this and doing a great job. He's lucky to have you in his corner

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls (10, 13 & 19) & 1 sweet little guy (3)
I wil have to check that book out. I have been keeping a journal on my computer right now just to get my feelings out, since its so up and down, one day hes fine the next hes driving me crazy!
airmans_angel is offline   Reply With Quote