Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Kinrice01
Registered Users
seller

Question for experienced TEACHING TEXTBOOKS users

Tell me about Teaching Textbooks. Pros, Cons, good, bad? I've heard some people say it is a year or more behind other curriculum levels, but couldn't that be fixed by just taking the placement tests and putting them in the right level? I will be homeschooling 3 kiddos plus a wild preschooler AND new baby with 3 of those kids in different maths. We are switching to HOD for other subjects because I need a more set schedule. But I am really hoping to outsource Math a bit. My 1st grader just finished up Saxon 1, he places in the TT 3. My 3rd grader is still completing her year of Switched On Schoolhouse Math 3, which she has done great with self teaching, but gets very frustrated with all the "bugs" and input methods. It frustrates me too! Does TT have those issues? And then my 5th grader is finishing up his Saxon Math 6/5 which he has pretty much self taught with the Saxon Teacher Dvds on the computer. So what do you think, would TT be a good fit for my 3 kids? I don't want them getting behind incase they go back to their Christian school the following year (which uses Saxon). I just hate Saxon at home. Thanks!
"

Advertisement

Kindra: wife to Chris since 6/01 , Stay at Home, AP, homeschooling Mama to: Seth 11/01, Elissa 10/03 , Noah 9/05 , Emma 5/09 , Luke 4/13 ,stepmom to a U.S.Marine Stephen 10/92 , foster mama to siblings I 12/08, J 12/09, and J 4/14
Kinrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question for experienced TEACHING TEXTBOOKS users

My DD is doing Teaching Text books 4 this year and we do some of the practice fact sheets and drills from saxon 5/4 as well as some of Khans Academy to sumplement.
I find its probably about 1/2 a year behind.
My DD abbandoned the CD around lesson 60 and had been jsut reading the text and doing the work on paper since which is fine with me. She will be going into Saxon 6/5 next year so were approaching it from the opposite dirrection.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We pink sparkly heart love TT. My son hated math and now he breezes through it.
I find TT 3 to be on level with what our public schools teach. My son is in 4/5/6 grade level for every other subject but struggled with math. It taught him to love math and it is no longer a battle.

We have had no issues with it at all.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
jess08060
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love TT! This is the second year my oldest DD has used it and she is one hear ahead of her grade. She switches back and forth from using just her book and using the computer. She always goes back and inputs her answers into the computer so that it's graded. I love it because I don't have to keep up with the grading. We've never had any glitch problems either.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have several friends who use it and love it. No cons from them. I'll be using it next year for 6th and pre/alg.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have used it for the past 4 years started with 3 and we are on 6 now. Ods loves it and I love that I don't have to teach math!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Kinrice01
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question for experienced TEACHING TEXTBOOKS users

Ok so I gave my daughter the placement test today. She seems to be in between 4 and 5. She has not been taught multiplication with Switched on Schoolhouse 3 (well they are just now starting it and not in a way that I like). But anyway..I want to go ahead and switch her over to TT. So my question is, is there a way to test out (move quickly) through the sections she already knows how to do? Like she has done a TON of multi-digit adding and subtracting with SOS, she will be so bored if she has to go through all that AGAIN....
Kindra: wife to Chris since 6/01 , Stay at Home, AP, homeschooling Mama to: Seth 11/01, Elissa 10/03 , Noah 9/05 , Emma 5/09 , Luke 4/13 ,stepmom to a U.S.Marine Stephen 10/92 , foster mama to siblings I 12/08, J 12/09, and J 4/14
Kinrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote