Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Selling on Craigslist

Hi there! I lurk here often, but have never posted. I have seen quite a few posts about Craigslist, so I thought this may be the place to ask!

I have quite a few household items (pictures, nick nacks, shelves, etc.) for sale on Craigslist. I am not having much luck, but keep reposting the adds to move them up. I have also reduced my prices, but still no luck.

I went through our closet today and have a LOT of new and barely used clothes. I would like to try to sell some of the items, but wasn't sure if I should post items individually or in groups.

Does anyone have any advice about selling clothes and and household items on CL?

Advertisement

MandaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selling on Craigslist

some areas it's better than others, maybe try ebay?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I think that a lot of CL selling is just "right place, right time."
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
some areas it's better than others, maybe try ebay?
I thought about ebay, but don't have any selling experience. I've heard a lot of people say that it's not worth it with the added fees and shipping, but it may be worth looking into. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Honestly, I think that a lot of CL selling is just "right place, right time."
This is sort of my impression as well.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

depends on the stuff and value and what YOU consider worth it. To some it's not worth it for less than $10, others $1 more is $1 more in their account.

It's free to list, can start auctions with your min you are happy with and give it a whirl. it's quite quick too (although I tend to put it off myself, bad me)

Otherwise, donation can be good for reducing taxes and quick
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
kej
Registered Users
seller

I buy a lot from CL, and recently am selling stuff. So far I've earned $150 and I'm expecting another sale/pickup later today. I think pricing is key. I price to sell things. Also, unique items sell better. The elephant rocking horse and 1970s green naugahyde ottoman had replies in less than 30 min. Kids sandals-it's been weeks.

I would never try to sell clothes, unless it was a lot of kids clothes. And then it would be priced low. Otherwise, I'd try to consign them at a shop or sale. However, my friend sometimes scores a garbage bag of kids clothes and shoes for about $50 and she gets some great things.

I recently read a post on CL from someone that people want too much money for their junk. S/he posted that CL is the last place you post before you have a yard sale to sell for cheap, or else donate. I think that's reasonable and try to keep it in mind.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I may try selling the clothes in lots instead of individual pieces. All of what we have still has tags or hasn't been worn, so I thought I would try to sell it before donating. If I don't get any responses at all, I will just donate it all. I have already donated the more "well worn" clothing and threw away the damaged and old items.

I have been pricing things fairly low, but I think I will mark all of the household items even lower. The fact is, any amount of money is better than nothing at all! Thanks for the input ladies!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
tlc981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You may also try facebook if you are on there. Our area has "swap shops" groups where people posts their stuff for sale.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I sell a lot of stuff, and I think it's really important to do a lot of research and have very nice photos. I'll first check on amazon to see what it would cost to buy it new, then I'll check ebay and our local CL (sometimes FB groups or here on fsot) to get an idea of what it might go for used. Then I'll go ahead and list it.

For some things you do want to group them together. I usually don't bother selling something that would sell for less than $10 because online fees suck, and local CL usually means a lot of flakey people that don't want to deal with the hassles for a cheap item.

In your listing, make sure you have good quality and clear photos of the actual item. I make sure to list the specific model number or relevant specs or brand so the people that are looking for a specific thing will find it. I also describe it a little and why certain features are really nice for people that don't know much about it. That way you appeal to lots of people.

And be specific in your post, let them know the specific area you're in, and the more general area of town. Let them know if you're firm on your price. Let them know you'll take the listing down when it's gone. Let them know how they can contact you, let them know when you're available to show it. You want to sell it fast because the longer they wait the flakier they will be... so answer all their initial questions in the post so you don't waste time. And be sure to price it right!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I had lots of clothing on cl and on the local fb for sale page for way cheap and they didn't move, so i just gave them away. It wasn't worth the hassle to keep them for $10 really it was 3 large boxes of boys clothing for $10.

It takes a lot of time for some items to sell like the truck we sold it took 9mo, the motorcycle took 2mo, a car took 2 wks, the camper took 4mo, the bil's boat took 4mo, his collector parts car took 2mo. But we've put for sale signs on 2 vehicles and sold them within the hour w/o every putting them on cl. Ok one of those vehicles we didn't even get the sign on it before it was sold. Than again for the last year dh has been looking for an engine for a car we own that needs replacement its taken us 1 year to find that part and we don't look just local dh looks throughout the entire state and into the twin cities to find things. The items I regular check out CL for happen to be columbia jackets that my boys will grow into (12 and up) and if I can find a great deal on a hybrid bike for myself I'll probably jump at it.