Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: who has had 4+ c-sections?

my high risk MFM doctor who is NOT AT ALL "pro-large family" said that she would be very comfortable with me having 6 c-sections. She said that sincethe reason for my c-sections were completely unrelated to my health, the risks are lower.

I have also read that they can usually tell based on the amount of scar tissue during your c-section how complicated the next one would be.

I don't think they can "refuse" a c-section if you are pregnant and the baby needs to be delivered, although they may try to give you a hard time about it.

I'm going to have my 3rd c-section on Monday (baby #4)!

Best wishes to you

Advertisement

happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

During the surgery for my third she never mentioned a window and it wasn't in her notes. My Dr is a very thorough Dr and I trust that if she had noticed she would have said something. Also, my kids were (in order) 9#10, 7#14, 6#12, and 10#8 and 22"!!! So the last one is a reason why I had significant thinning. She was the biggest one and therefore had to stretch my uterus more than the others. She was in the 99th % until 2 weeks ago when she dropped to the 88th for weight, still 98th for height though.

I would research and ask why you can't have a vbac though. I couldn't because I have a narrow pelvis and a tilted uterus, if I would have had my tiny girl first (or even vbac'd her 2nd) I could have tried for more vbacs.
Most Drs need a slew of others to be on board with them before they can do vbacs. My OB would have happily referred me but we both knew that my chances were slim to none of me even trying without ever having given birth vaginally.
Good luck with everything mama!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Both times I had a csection due to baby's low heart rate.
They also were both 6lbs 7oz so not big at all.
I really suspect this baby will weigh the same, if not smaller.
I'm waiting on insurance then I can discuss everything with my doctor.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am expecting #5 and will be my 5th C/S. My OB has done up to 6 or 7 without problems and isn't concerned about me at this point and knows I want more after this one. We've talked about it specifically. He says as long as my uterus looks good at delivery and God gives me another baby he'll figure out a way to get it out. I've not had any issues with the hospitals limiting how many C/S, but I would suggest you find an OB who has experience and is comfortable delivering for mamas with multiple C/S's...and support YOUR decision. My first OB ever told me I could never have more than 3 or 4 kids since my 1st was a C/S - I decided that was not her decision and found a new OB who I discussed this with up front and I've been with him since #2. You will find that people (in and out of the medical profession) are astounded with you once you pass (and sometimes once you hit) the #3 C/S mark...people are always like "WOW" when they hear how many I've had and I was the patient with the most C/S's the surgical assists (PA) in my last C/S (#4) had ever seen (or heard of). The decision about how many kids I have is not up to my doctor - I will find a new one if it ever becomes an issue. Don't let you dr. limit the family size you want - get a 2nd opinion and make sure up front they support multiple C/S's and know when to make RECOMMENDATIONS to you on whether to have more babies or not, but leave it in yours (and God's) hands. Just my thoughts sorry if that sounds pushy...it just gets me going...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowangel View Post
I am expecting #5 and will be my 5th C/S. My OB has done up to 6 or 7 without problems and isn't concerned about me at this point and knows I want more after this one. We've talked about it specifically. He says as long as my uterus looks good at delivery and God gives me another baby he'll figure out a way to get it out. I've not had any issues with the hospitals limiting how many C/S, but I would suggest you find an OB who has experience and is comfortable delivering for mamas with multiple C/S's...and support YOUR decision. My first OB ever told me I could never have more than 3 or 4 kids since my 1st was a C/S - I decided that was not her decision and found a new OB who I discussed this with up front and I've been with him since #2. You will find that people (in and out of the medical profession) are astounded with you once you pass (and sometimes once you hit) the #3 C/S mark...people are always like "WOW" when they hear how many I've had and I was the patient with the most C/S's the surgical assists (PA) in my last C/S (#4) had ever seen (or heard of). The decision about how many kids I have is not up to my doctor - I will find a new one if it ever becomes an issue. Don't let you dr. limit the family size you want - get a 2nd opinion and make sure up front they support multiple C/S's and know when to make RECOMMENDATIONS to you on whether to have more babies or not, but leave it in yours (and God's) hands. Just my thoughts sorry if that sounds pushy...it just gets me going...
Thank you for your response! Its what I needed. I still haven't seen a doctor but some mama's from my due date club researched and found some doctors in my area I need to look up and call.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with pp. my doctor had this exact same discussion with me at my first appt. I'm looking at my second csection in October and he didn't even recommend that I only have 3. He just gave me all the scary statistics which were scary but he didn't say that he would not do 4 or more. You should definitely look into a different doc and hospital!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

I didn't discuss how many csections my doctor will perform. I don't know why we didn't. My last one was supposed to be a vbac maybe that's why. But, when I was going to school for medical assisting my teacher said the hospitals where I live only recommend 3 cesareans.
I just need to do some research and call as many doctors as I can and find one that works with me.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Five. I've had five. No uterine window whatsoever here. And my Dr. (who has done all five) has told me many times that it's not her decision how many children I have. I her. She has also told me that there isn't a "limit" on how many c/s someone can have unless the Dr. or hospital has put that policy in place. Get a new Dr who will support you. I would get complete medical records to take to the new Dr if you do decide to switch...that way the new Dr will know exactly what the situation is.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like you have an awesome doctor!

I haven't been to a doctor yet but only because I found a midwife who said she will do a vbac! I haven't met with her yet and it's not a for sure thing. She sent me a list of questions to answer then we will set up a time to meet to discuss everything. I hope everything turns out well for me! I really want a vbac!!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
Muninay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just had my 6th c-section 4 months ago. My Dr told me that my particular case would be risky for another one as I have a lot of scar tissue and multiple incision sites (3 classical and 3 horizontal) and very thin uterus, it took him an hour to close me up. Even the circulating nurse told me that my case is risky but she knows of a patient who had 12 c-sections without any complications. On c-section 11, her Dr. told her that he will not do another for her but when she got pregnant with #12, he took her in anyway. I also have a friend who has had 6 c-sections and her Dr. says he has delivered 9.

When I had my 4th c-section, my former Dr. told me not to have another, but I got pregnant after a year and went to another Dr. and had baby #5 then baby#6.

I really hope you'd be able to have a vbac. It was not possible for me.

Last edited by Muninay; 04-02-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: not done with post
Muninay is offline   Reply With Quote