Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone else have this happen to them?

Just a tiny vent here: When strangers (sometimes friends and relatives) find out we homeschool our 4 year old DD they start quizzing her about stuff: "How high can you count?", "Do you know your ABC's?", "Do you know your colors?", etc.

At first I just shrugged it off and let DD show her stuff, she's very smart, if I do say so myself. But, it's really starting to irritate me now. Why do they feel the need to question what/how much she knows? Do these people think we're not teaching her?

Has anyone else had this happen to them? How do you handle it? Maybe it's just bugging me so much now because I'm 37 weeks pregnant and irritable

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Has anyone else have this happen to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma View Post
Just a tiny vent here: When strangers (sometimes friends and relatives) find out we homeschool our 4 year old DD they start quizzing her about stuff: "How high can you count?", "Do you know your ABC's?", "Do you know your colors?", etc.

At first I just shrugged it off and let DD show her stuff, she's very smart, if I do say so myself. But, it's really starting to irritate me now. Why do they feel the need to question what/how much she knows? Do these people think we're not teaching her?

Has anyone else had this happen to them? How do you handle it? Maybe it's just bugging me so much now because I'm 37 weeks pregnant and irritable
People do this all the time to my kids. I think it's odd and rude. Do people do it to kids in public school?? Probably not. Heck, I sure hope nobody decided to start quizzing me in public on whatever facts *they* think are important! That could be so embarrassing.

It especially bugs me, I think because my kids are unschooled and so they do know many of the "age appropriate" facts, but other things they are learning "out of order". I usually let it go if the kid doesn't seem to mind and knows the answer. But if not I jump in and say "(Kid's name) would you like to tell them about (whatever it is that they are interested in and learning about)?" I imagine I personally would feel quite uncomfortable if some adult started quizzing me on calculus or something in public. I can't do calculus to save my life. I would however be happy to talk about something I DO know if they'd like to hear me spew facts for their amusement.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

People do this to us and I can't stand it! My in-laws do it the most. One reason I probably hate it is because my oldest has been a late bloomer with regard to reading, including alphabet stuff. Also, we don't do much for K other than reading and math and for 1st our history is Biblical history. So, they seem to think we aren't doing anything. It really annoys me. Luckily, my son is slightly older now and reads fine and my 5 year olds are ahead of where he was at their age.

Anyway, this really bugs me too.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes and it irritates me. I don't mind if people have honest questions like "oh what is your favorite subject" or "what did you find interesting today" or just general questions for me about how it all works but it irritates me when they want to quiz my kids. My boys are bright but they are not show ponies. It doesn't help that Kearnan has been behind so I always feel like I have to explain things.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
To be fair, I think people DO ask the same questions of kids in the school system. A lot of times it comes down to adults (like myself) who don't know what to say to other people's kids. I can have exciting conversations with my daughter and I think she's brilliant, but I am lost when trying to talk to her cousins the same age (or even older). School subjects are an "easy" filler, like uncomfortable adults discuss the weather.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
To be fair, I think people DO ask the same questions of kids in the school system. A lot of times it comes down to adults (like myself) who don't know what to say to other people's kids. I can have exciting conversations with my daughter and I think she's brilliant, but I am lost when trying to talk to her cousins the same age (or even older). School subjects are an "easy" filler, like uncomfortable adults discuss the weather.
This is definitely not what my in-laws are doing. They are clearly quizzing my kids to see what they know. What you are describing doesn't bother me.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki
I think this is true. A lot of people don't know how to talk to kids, or other ppls kids.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honest questions and conversation starters don't bother me. Some people have seemed genuinely interested about how it all works and I'm happy to answer their questions. It's the people that are obviously quizzing DD that drives me nuts. I do find it rude and very odd.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I guess I'm lucky, we haven't had anyone quiz either of my kids. I'd definitely find it rude and would probably respond back with something quite rude.......
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
babysniffles
Registered Users

My brother in law has this habit when he comes over, but it seems to me like he is trying to fill time, especially as he asks the same questions every time. He annoys me in other ways, mostly by making the most bizarre and odd out of context statements. Like once he said that women in labor 'really just want to be petted like a cat.' He is just weird.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote