Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Ocean4Me
Registered Users
Formerly: ***ach

How can I make my c-section more pleasant?

OK I know there's really nothing 'pleasant' about it.With ds1,it was so sudden..went in for 37 week appointment and they gave us about an hour notice that they were going to take him. I had NO time to prepare mentally or anything!While I'd love a VBAC,my hospital doesn't do them so...any suggestions?I plan on having input this time about what I do and do not want but what would help make the experience and hospital stay a little easier for me,Dh and and DS1(5)?

Advertisement

Ocean4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I make my c-section more pleasant?

This article and video is a great commentary on mother and baby friendly cesareans: http://banned-from-baby-showers.blog...ceci-jane.html

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Find out what the hospital standard procedure and policy is, then decide if there's anything you can/want to alter about that, as a first step.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I had my midwife with me in the OR. That relived a lot of anxiets for my. I also had my son on my chest right after birth and when I got light headed he went skin to skin with daddy.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Make a playlist for the OR room (The doc told me to just bring in my ipod, but a cd would have worked too). Loved hearing my own music and it relaxed me and seemed familiar.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Bring in something like what is in this link. I am not recommending this bran as I haven't tried it. Just this or something like it. So much easier than using a pillow.I wanted one so bad with my last baby. We just couldn't afford one.

http://www.csectionrecoverykit.com/p...and-strap.html
Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am going into my third C-section. The first I knew for a few hours before I had it (I was already in the hospital so I had been preparing mentally for a few weeks). It was a severely premature delivery so nothing about it was "good".

The second I had high hopes for. My son made it to his scheduled c-section date so I was figuring I was good. He sadly ended up in the NICU as well, but I learned A TON about what I like and didn't like about the whole procedure.

This time around I have already asked for certain things. I will have a gaggle (4 that I know of right now) of doctors this time and special blood on standby, but I would still like certain things to be done. I am delivering at the same hospital as both my prior c-sections and they only have 2 OR rooms. Lucky for me I have been in both! I may ask to be put in the same one as my son, because his birth was obviously a bit happier, but that is okay if I am at term in the other one. I know the people (odds are... may go there and make sure of it when I know my date) that will take care of my son (newbie). I knew most of the Neonatal unit from the time I have had to spend there.

What you need to think about is WHAT exactly you didn't like about your c-section. Once you figure out that, then you should be able to talk to your doctor about specific things you want to change.

This thread is what I told my doctor I wanted. She didn't have issues with the things she has control over. I will have to meet with the anesthesiologist to get him/her to agree to work with my port (will probably also be talking to my oncologist about that as well). He/she wants me to have a peripheral line which makes about as much sense as saying "here is this free airline ticket to Florida! I would rather drive though so lets not use it!"

Good luck! I know how frustrating this whole thing can be, but if you are stubborn as I am you might just get your way.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies
Make a playlist for the OR room (The doc told me to just bring in my ipod, but a cd would have worked too). Loved hearing my own music and it relaxed me and seemed familiar.
I wish I had done that! I had labor music all ready and when we opted for the planned section (twins, baby A transverse) I didn't even think that would be possible. It would have helped so much!
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Ocean4Me
Registered Users
Formerly: ***ach

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

As for the belly binder thing,the hospital gave me some type of support thing when I had ds1,I assume they will again.

All of the things I'd like to see happen,do I need to talk to my OB about it or who?And when?
Ocean4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would talk to your OB. That is who I am going through. If anything you want, isn't in her control then they will direct you to the right person.

I talked to my OB on the second visit I believe. Might have been the first because I had to wait so long to see her (I had confusion over who would deliver me). It is never too early to get your wishes known. Also the earlier you do it, if they veto anything, you will have time to find an alternative that might be more acceptable to both of you.

Oh and write out your wishes. That way you can have them in hand when you check in for your delivery. Also keep them short and to the point. The thread I did taught me that. If they are written out too, if you need to note things it will be easier.

Good luck!