Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Unschoolers

Tell me how it works?
Is love to do unschooling, but I'm afraid!
I have always loved organization and planning and worksheets----I'm afraid of the unknown!

DD has been leaning more toward "can we learn about x today" which I do, but it kills my OCD! Sigh. I know I need to get over it, but its hard. Help?!

Advertisement

FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Unschoolers

I think it takes some time to become comfortable with the idea and let go. I think the best thing to do is spend plenty of time reading about unschooling and unschooling families.

I like the book "A Little Way of Homeschooling". Also, you might enjoy these posts: http://christinapilkington.com/2013/...rning-in-2012/
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One of my favorite videos about unschooling is this one. It starts off a little dry but it's worth the watch.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Amandamama
Registered Users

A great intro book is "the unschooling handbook" by Mary Griffith. Gives examples from many different families on how ther children learn all the traditional academic subjects without textbook lessons.
There are also a bunch of great blogs and online sites:
Sandra Dodd's website is excellent, as is Dayna Martins.
If there's any chance you can get to an unschooling conference, I highly suggest it
There are also some beginner yahoo groups as well.
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

We were thinking about unschooling for a bit, once we realized our curriculum and approach weren't what we really wanted. A lot of the philosophy really appeals to me. There was something that just didn't settle right, for our family though. Maybe it's that we are kind of unorganized, and can also be unmotivated?
Maybe it's cause Im somewhat of a control freak, and I have to have at least some vague idea of what Im working towards, or else my efforts become scattered and not effective? I don't know.

I spent about 3 weeks online doing nothing but reading about homeschooling and came across the Charlotte Mason approach, and Im totally sold. It has what I liked about the "facilitating learning", but then there are also goals that Im working toward (that I believe in wholeheartedly and find WAY important).
We're going with ambleside online. I recommend looking into it at least, if unschooling appeals to you. Its very similar.

The math were using is very different from anything else Ive seen too. Its pretty much all mental math through games and activities, and focuses on teaching kids to think mathematically, rather than just plug numbers into a formula.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 03-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote