Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do bio parents send food/snacks home with your foster kids?

The bio parents are sending our foster girls home with food, mostly snacks, which is nice of them. My dilemma Is that my own kids always want to eat it as well. I told my kids that it is special food for her but she always wants to share with them. For example, they would put in my diaper bag a 6 pack of Danimals, 10 cheese sticks, 30 tortillas etc, and this is 3 times a week. So its more food then she could really eat (the other 2 girls don't eat that stuff) but I know they aren't buying it for my kids to eat. At the same time, we buy plenty of food treats here, so she gets that here as well so if my kids drink all the damimals we have other yogurt here, not Danimals, though.. Do you think its ok, that my kids eat the food as well?
The parents also make home made food which my kids never eat, its the fun brand food stuff that they ask her about and she wants to share.

Advertisement

Last edited by ivparker; 03-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.
ivparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do bio parents send food/snacks home with your foster kids?

I would let them share. Your children share everything including their mom and the LO wants to share. I would say no big deal. On the other hand I have thrown away junk food given to my foster kids. (just left overs from visits) we don't give that kind of junk food and I don't make exceptions for Cheetos and other similar foods.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son't bios never sent him home with anything. I probably wouldn't share anything that wasn't pre-packaged...

Its pretty cool that they are at least trying to do something for their daughter and have snacks at the visits.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Again, why are they trying to beef this girl up? I don't get it.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I only have my kids eat the prepackaged stuff and I hesitate to even give dfd the non-prepackaged stuff. I'm not sure how sanitary they are. I usually pile it high on her plate, she takes a few bites, and I toss the rest. So then if they ask her she would say that she did eat it. The sad thing is they don't send home food with the other kids, different foster parent. It does feel like they are sending food with her to be sure she doesn't loose weight.
The other day the dad was complaining about her loosing weight again but she had a DR's appointment that day and she had gained 1 1/2 pounds from when we got her.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
The whole situation is very strange to me. I wonder why they are so concerned about her weight? It just seems so weird.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
I think if kids want to share let them. They don't always want to.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

i would let them share too. how old is the oldest kiddo? it might make her feel special to make a big deal about it being special because it is from her parents though. its really awesome that they are bringing actual food or really anything at all lol! some parents don't even show up let alone bring things. my dfs brings home candy all the time and has the whole time, even before his birthday. i would pick him up and he would have a sucker. i don't think of myself as a mom particularly stuck on healthy eating but i don't give the kids candy and i certainly don't give babies candy. is it just me? he had a piece or two for halloween and thats about it...its almost every single visit with family. oh she sometimes sends homes cheetos and chips. i have a bag of funyuns on top of my fridge that has been there for a month...thats not baby food lol!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm never really sure what I can or can't say. But I think that the older kids already have their feeling of bios, the young ones don't understand. She is almost 3 , and is in the in between stage and is very easily "bribed" in a sense with food. I don't know for sure, but that is what I gather from it. The size thing is very annoying for a lot of reasons that I can't say but what stinks also is its really hard to find clothes. 4t pants are too long but 3t is a little too snug and shirts are a little too small in the belly area but long in the arms.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Amandamama
Registered Users

Totally not about the food, but about clothing sizes
My dd always has a hard time with pants & she's 10 now, lol. She wears yoga or sweat pants. Buy the size that fits in the waist, cut off or roll under the too long part, & hem them. You can do it by hand if you don't have a machine. Makes a big difference
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote