Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Easter Food Plans

I do but it is very entailed. This is actually going to be my first attempt at making it. I got it from a very good friend who is an excellent baker.

Advertisement

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy
I do but it is very entailed. This is actually going to be my first attempt at making it. I got it from a very good friend who is an excellent baker.
Do share if you don't mind!

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can someone please help? We successfully lobbied to skip the wretched buffet this year, but my mil seems a bit angry about it. By way of punishment she requested we bring scalloped potatoes, a dish I have never made.

Does anyone have a foolproof method to share? Thanks very much.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
jayner11
Registered Users
seller

I am going to make some sort of roast, green beans, and potatoes. We don't have roast often so it will be a treat Sorry pp I don't know how to make scalloped potatoes either. I was just going to look at allrecipies for ideas
jayner11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am afraid I don't have a recipe for scalloped potatoes. I know how they are made. You peel and slice potatoes, par boil (they should be just under done cause you don't want them to mash), drain well and put in a caserole dish or dutch oven, make a cheese sauce (a basic white sauce with sharp cheddar is excellent for this) mix with potatoes and I know in my family ham is traditional in this dish but I prefer them without. Cover with foil and bake until the top gets browned. I wish I could explain it better. This is what is done in my family when scalloped potatoes are asked for.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks. I found a recipe and did a trial last night and they came out really good. The trick was to simmer in the cream/milk on the stove, then bake. And the potatoes had to be sliced 1/8 inch. It was the first time I've actually enjoyed scalloped potatoes.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
Can someone please help? We successfully lobbied to skip the wretched buffet this year, but my mil seems a bit angry about it. By way of punishment she requested we bring scalloped potatoes, a dish I have never made.

Does anyone have a foolproof method to share? Thanks very much.
I first made this recipe for Easter a few years ago, and I love it!! It's from Cook's Illustrated. I didn't want to type it but I found an identical copy online.

The changes that I make to this are: grate the onion instead of mince it, use a combination of half & half and milk instead of heavy cream (I did 1 cup h&h, 1/2 cup ff milk), and instead of sprinkling the top with cheese, I mixed the cheese into the sauce just before pouring it into the baking dish. I used a sharp white cheddar. It is fabulous! Let me know if you have any questions!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No clue?! Umm... We have church in the AM & will probably be out until 1ish. I'm at a loss because ds2 has food allergies & I do not know what a lot of the solutions contain. :/ and beef roasts are like $6.99/lb!! Insane. Can't do pork loins either because o the solutions.
I suppose I can do chicken but we've been eating t all week & I just made a pot if broth.
I know for sure I'll be trying gluten free bunny rolls and baby new potatoes and probably salad. I will try to find a safe ham that wot cost an arm & leg. Otherwise I need something my kids will actually eat. Lol
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post

I first made this recipe for Easter a few years ago, and I love it!! It's from Cook's Illustrated. I didn't want to type it but I found an identical copy online.

The changes that I make to this are: grate the onion instead of mince it, use a combination of half & half and milk instead of heavy cream (I did 1 cup h&h, 1/2 cup ff milk), and instead of sprinkling the top with cheese, I mixed the cheese into the sauce just before pouring it into the baking dish. I used a sharp white cheddar. It is fabulous! Let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you! It's the Holiday Scalloped Potatoes from CI that I used, and I followed it to the letter - tons of heavy cream! I like your changes. I think I'll mix some white cheddar into the cream, maybe a half cup, then put another cup of cheddar on top. I like the idea of grating the onion and minimizing the cream.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

2 c AP flour
2 tea baking soda
.5 tea salt
2 tea cinnamon
3 eggs
2 c. sugar
.75 c veggie oil
.75 c buttermilk
2 tea vanilla
2 c. grated carrots
1 8oz can crushed pineapple drained
.25 c raisins
.75 cup of shredded sweetened coconut
1 c. cho pped pecans or walnuts toasted

Grease 3, 9: round cake pans. Stir first 4 ingredients together. In separate bowl beat eggs and next 4 ingredients. Add flour mix to wet ingredients. Fold in carrots and next 4 ingredients. Evenly pour batter into pans bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely before icing.

Cream Cheese Frosting
11 oz cream cheese at room temp
.75 c butter at room temp
16oz powdered sugar
1.5 tea vanilla

Beat until smooth and ice cake

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote