Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

Completely ignorant knitting question

Hey everyone! My mom, a very capable sewer/crafter, is thinking of taking up knitting, and would definitely take it up sooner if she had some motivation - like making stuff my LO needs. I'm just wondering how hard it is to make longies, shorties, and soakers. Even if its pretty advanced then she might be able to learn by the time another LO (Lord willing) comes, so do you know some tried and true patterns for any of these items? Thanks!

Advertisement

Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
HGrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Completely ignorant knitting question

If she's already crafty then I bet she can pick it up in no time! I taught myself watching www.knittinghelp.com (I chose continental knitting, and really prefer it now). That website is awesome and she includes videos for everything! If you want a great pattern that will include instructions on soakers/shorties/longies, then I'd go with the Eviepants pattern- lots of extra options are included too. I started out with the Sheepypants pattern (before I knew about the eviepants pattern) and found it very simple/easy to understand and read as well. Hope this helps!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

Oooh! Thank you so much!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I am not at all crafty, don't have a creative bone in my body and I taught myself to knit solely for the purpose of making diapers. It didn't even take that much effort really.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

oh, that's good to hear!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

i'm another one who taught myself to knit (thanks youtube!) just so i could make longies. they are really not hard at all!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Ala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcokasil
i'm another one who taught myself to knit (thanks youtube!) just so i could make longies. they are really not hard at all!
I have been wanting to learn to knit as well... From what I can tell, you need different sized needles for different patterns? What supplies, size needles, etc, that I would need to get started?
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Kandarpa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm also a self-taught knitter. Learned form videos on Youtube and other websites. For the reason of making longies and the like for DS

To get started you need wool yarn, 3 stitch markers, needles and a darning needle for waving in the ends. The size of the the needles depends on what yarn you are using and also on your tension when you knit, but 4 or 4.5 mm works for most and then you'll need needles 2 size smaller for the waist.
Kandarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Ala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can anyone recommend any easy, beginners patterns? Also interested in patterns for sewing up cycled soakers, etc.
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I learned how to knit from the Little Turtle Knits ribby wrap pattern. After knitting and crocheting other soakers from other patterns it is still my favorite pattern of all time and one that I recommend to anyone wanting to knit a wool diaper cover. The instructions are super clear and easy to follow, there is an appendix photo section of techniques. It is a paid pattern, but the skills I got from following it and the number of soakers I've made from it that it is well worth the $8.00.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote