Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Sassybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Stressing over NB stash

Our little one is due in 3 weeks and I'm starting to stress/obsess over our NB diaper stash. It's starting to keep me up at night! This is our first time CDing so I would love some help making sure that we're okay with getting started.

Kissaluvs hemp fitted (NB) - 10
Thirsties covers (XS) - 4
Loveybums Wool cover (small) - 1
Fuzzibunz (Small) - 12
Fuzzibunz (XS) - 1
Flip covers - 3 (I know I need more of these)
Flips inserts - 12
Flips night time inserts - 5

I'm not sure how the flips do with newborns but I've included them here. I also have some Fuzzibunz one size (6) but didn't include because from all I have read they don't fit so great until baby gets bigger. I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you ladies!!

Advertisement

Sassybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok. I agree flips won't work until baby is bigger. How big are your babies? You may need to get more NB fitteds. My lil girl is 3 weeks and 7 lbs. 12 oz, a lil past her birth weight now and will be in her newborns for awhile. My kids are usually in them for a few months. 10 doesn't seem like enough since they poop and pee often.

Also small fuzzi bunz never worked on ours until after the newborn stage.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love nb mutts and nb bububebes. I actually have too many. Oops. I also bought some Amelie & Macies on FSOT this time and they are really cute. Not as absorbabt so won't last as long as mutts and b4s but work well for now.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Sassybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Stressing over NB stash

I think this one is going to be close to 8 lbs based on my doc's estimates which is bigger than my first 2 because I ended up with gestational diabetes this time around. So the small fuzzibunz didn't work for you early on? I was wondering about that. I've been considering getting some NB or small GMD prefolds or NB workhorses to fill in the gap. Maybe I should just go ahead and do that to be safe with some more covers.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Obsessing is fine, but don't stress!

Generally, most mamas aim for 24-36 changes for a newborn. Also, unless you've CDed a newborn before, you'll probably want to try a mix of diapers. Some mamas tend to go more with prefolds and flats, while others tend to prefer fitteds and aio's.

I'd say right now you have 10 newbie changes (the 10 KL0), so you'll probably want to get 15 to 30 more changes. If you're pretty sure you want to go with fitteds, a nice stash might be to have a total of 18-24 fitteds (combo of KL0 and GMD workhorses) and 12 prefolds (most moms love the GMD orange edge prefolds for newbies). You might also consider throwing in 6 AIO's for easy changes on-the-go or at night time. Nana's Bottoms are supposed to be really affordable sized AIO's that would probably work really well if you're on a budget or you could go with something a bit more pricy like Simplex newborn.

As far as covers, 4-6 would be a good stash, especially if you're mostly using fitteds (the fitteds will mostly keep the poo contained and off the covers), so you should be good with what you have unless you go with more prefolds, in which case you might want to get a few more covers just in case. Don't forget, if you find that you need more, you can always get a few extras after the baby arrives, too.

HTH!
supermomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Sassybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for the feedback! Sounds like I need to stalk the marketplace for a few days to get some prefolds or fitteds. Good thing I enjoy shopping
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'd agree you need a few more tiny diapers, my DD was 8 lbs when we brought her home, and no way would she fit in flips, and small fb didnt start fitting until about 12-14 lbs. don't stress too much, i was about where you are when i discovered my OS diapers were not going to fit my new baby and bought a whole NB stash in a week, 31 diapers. have fun searching.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

FYI the kissaluvs hemp run very big. I don't think they fit ds until over 8lbs. He has skinny legs though.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My newbie was 8-15 and the xs fuzzibunz are still too big for her (she is 11 days old). If they are the Velcro ones I can fold them over and they work ok, but the snaps...no way. Maybe a couple newborn aios would be good? Swaddlebees simplex and bumgenius are our faves right now...the deadliness are by far the best fit and I can tell they'll last longer than our other nb diapers, but the Velcro in the bg is nice for sleepy night time changes!

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
quinnNjesse
Registered Users

Small FB are HUGE. I happened to try one on my 6 week old DD moments ago! Supposed to fit @ 7 lbs, she is nearly 10 lbs and they are ginormous!

Get GMD workhorses in orange (ours still fit!) and some NB swaddlebees simplex. Both rock.
quinnNjesse is offline   Reply With Quote