Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
is one age better than another for weaning a toddler

DD is 16 months, nurses 6-8 times a day, and always nurses to sleep. She usually sleeps through the night unless she is sick, but almost always demands to nurse when she does wake up. We are thinking of TTC #2 when she is around 21 months old, and I would really like her to be completely weaned by then as I don't want to nurse while pregnant and I absolutely do not want to random nurse. I guess what I'm wondering is, is there an age developmentally better than another age between 16 and 21 months? Any good weaning resources out there? I think it will be tough for her to quit nursing to sleep.

Happily married to my amazing husband , unexpectedly crunchy mama to our beautiful girl born Nov 2011 and our sweet little boy born April 2014!
serenas_song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: is one age better than another for weaning a toddler

My DD3 is 17 months and is not wanting to wean, either! I have noticed that if I am sitting down, she will want to nurse, but if she is kept busy, she's fine.

I have dropped it down to just morning and before bed, but it took a few weeks. I think the longer you go, the harder it is, especially when they can ask for it and yank up your shirt in public (not that my darling little angel would ever do that....

Dropping one feedtime each week seems to work well for most.
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
We had to after I got pregnant as milk dried up completely or something. Cold trukey u might say at 14 months. Good luck.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Registered Users
Re: is one age better than another for weaning a toddler

I'm not sure if one age is better than another but I definitely like nursing until 2 (give or take a couple of months). There are many reasons why but here are my top reasons:

1. instant soother of hurts and tantrums
2. made nap and bedtime a breeze (these were the last sessions to go)
3. when sick and wouldn't eat/drink anything else, my child would still nurse
4. with the iffy diet (not as in junk food, but maybe not wanting to eat well rounded), I knew that breastmilk gave them well-balanced nutrition specifically designed for their body and age of development.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote