Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your 1 hr glucose alternative

My midwife let me test at home over the course of four days, I tested an hour after eating three times a day. Then I reported the numbers to her and we went from there. If you have always passed in other pregnancies then there is NO reason for them not to let you do an alternative. The normal test makes me sick as well, I never eat a ton of sugar like that in my normal life so the results are not accurate!

A crunchy wife to B and momma of identical twin girls G & E , our rainbow
baby C born at home April 2013 and R forever in my heart.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Registered Users

i did 16 oz of OJ and got tested 45 min later.

i do finger pricks with the glucose meter that is highly rated from wal-mart bc ive been prone to hypoglycemia this pregnancy. if i had a regular OB i would refuse the syrup drink bc it sucks and its really not good for you in any way shape or form (i would rather eat some maple syrup or honey or even plain old sugar water).

i take a fasting test first thing in the morning and then usually an hour after meals to make sure im on track. the key to any diabetes/hypoglycemia management is combining your complex carbs/proteins correctly and making sure you are active, drink plenty of water, sleep, and eat a TON of healthy veggies and low glycemic fruits like apple and grapefruit. even if your test comes back positive or negative, you should eat this way just in general and esp. when pregnant!
none on the boards, but feedback on LJ here:
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered Users

I have LOTS of food/additive/preservative sensitivities and my OB had me do a 2 hour post-prandial blood draw. So I just ate a regular breakfast then went to the lab 2 hours later. I am not at risk for GD though and didn't have it the first time around either. My first pregnancy I was also much heavier and I have since switched my diet around and no longer eat the traditional SAD (standard american diet)... I eat paleo because of all my food troubles and don't consume much sugar in a given day.
I think if I had to drink the glucola I would've been super sick not only because of the amount of sugar that is in it, but also the sodium benzoate and other preservatives that my body does not tolerate well. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Users

As some PPs have said already, I also did a 2 hour post-prandial, which consisted of a fasting blood draw first thing in the morning, then a normal breakfast, then a blood draw 2 hours later. I preferred this for two reasons - 1. I really didn't want to drink the Glucola (ugh) and 2. I wanted something that would actually be representative of how I eat, which does not usually include massive quantities of HFCS and orange dye!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

I just tested with a meter after each meal for three days. My MW even wrote a script so my insurance covered the meter. That glucose drink made me vomit for days.
Wife to H & Mom to (11) (8) (5)

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
Registered Users
I ate an insulin-resistance diet breakfast. Tested at the lab before and after. I figured no way was I going to consume that much sugar when I already know I'm insulin resistant!

Didn't even mess with testing with my second. Just kept track of my blood sugar with my monitor and let my OB review my stats.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote