Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

SLPs- 17 m with no words

She had tubes at the end of January and her pedi thought that once she could hear better she would start talking. But it's been 2 months and nothing besides a very occasional "mamama". She signs and understands a lot and will follow directions so I know her hearing isn't too bad. We are moving and are going to get her evaluated by early intervention at the end of April but if this is something we need to get checked out now we can do it at my in laws house since they live in the same city as our new place. Should it be ok to wait another month or does she need to get therapy now?

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana51
She had tubes at the end of January and her pedi thought that once she could hear better she would start talking. But it's been 2 months and nothing besides a very occasional "mamama". She signs and understands a lot and will follow directions so I know her hearing isn't too bad. We are moving and are going to get her evaluated by early intervention at the end of April but if this is something we need to get checked out now we can do it at my in laws house since they live in the same city as our new place. Should it be ok to wait another month or does she need to get therapy now?
I should add that she screeches but doesn't babble much, she is actually pretty quiet most of the time. She does grunt when she is trying to get your attention. Sometimes when I'm trying to get her to say a word or sound she will make she shape with her mouth but not voice it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: SLPs- 17 m with no words

I was worried about dd's speech as she didn't talk at all. We had her evaluated at 23 months. And she didn't qualify because they counted signs as words. But her speech took off after her eval. Like she needed someone to say "nothings wrong". She is behind other 2.5 year olds but she is starting to say 2-3 word sentences.

We even had her hearing evaluated since they all said that was her issue....it was not. And I was trying to tell them that she could hear me perfectly fine. Since she would follow a 5 step demand quite easily.

One thing that you need to try to do (if you don't already) is say the word with her when she signs. If she is signing Please, say "oh Please...can you say please?"

also repeat the same word over and over and over again. It will get annoying to you but it helps her recognize what that word it. "Is that a cat? Oh I see the cat. That is a black cat. That is a big cat."
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My dd1 was a later talker too. One word (shoe) at 15 mos and then really nothing until close to 20 mos. Huge vocab explosion around 22mos which is really really common. Other than making sure she could actually hear, we just taught her some signs so that she could communicate and let her be. 17mos is way too early to be concerned unless there are other reasons to think she has delays in other areas as well.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first kiddo didn't say much of anything till almost 3--then all of sudden he just took off and hasn't stopped talking since. #2 started talking (more than a few words) right around age 2

I personally wouldn't start worrying until closer to 3, but that is me. I don't pressure and as long as the understand and communicate is some form I am fine with it.

Like many milestones, each kid reaches them at different stages.

I mean, my kids didn't even start walking till 17 months so I was not concerned about words at all. 17 months is way to young to worry.

Last edited by Nerissa; 03-25-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

In the grand scheme of things a month won't make a huge difference. Due to tubes I'd definitely go through with the evaluation, but the fact that she signs and has good comprehension are positive signs!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
One thing that you need to try to do (if you don't already) is say the word with her when she signs. If she is signing Please, say "oh Please...can you say please?"

also repeat the same word over and over and over again. It will get annoying to you but it helps her recognize what that word it. "Is that a cat? Oh I see the cat. That is a black cat. That is a big cat."
My DS was behind in speech, too. At 18 mos he really only said about two words, I think, so he qualified for Early Intervention services. Right at his 2nd birthday, he started talking - a LOT - and he hasn't shut up since then. Some kids just take their time, but EI really helped too I think. It wouldn't hurt to ask her pediatrician for an EI evaluation just in case, and I also agree with ding what stevensmom suggested too. And do it everywhere - at the grocery store, point out signs, fruits, everything. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you are worried, do a self-refer for an Early Intervention evaluation. They found things in DS that I hadn't noticed. It is free, and will set your mind at ease.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote