Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
usmcwife25
Registered Users

Leaking issue with FB

I am having issues with my FBs. We started using them in December on our 18 month old. They worked great for a month or so, then we started having issues with them leaking all of the sudden. I thought it was because we used coconut oil on a diaper rash she had (which at the time I thought was okay), but I have tried stripping them many, many times now and it doesn't seem to be helping. I even scrubbed each diaper and insert with a toothbrush and dawn, as a last resort. We did try tightening the leg openings this week, and they are now useable (the pee doesn't just run out the legs anymore), but she is still leaking out the front, back and/or leg holes sometimes. Does anyone have any recommendations for another way we could try stripping, perhaps? I have a front-loader HE washer and I feel that the stripping I've done isn't very effective in it, so some advice from HE users would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!!

Tiffany

Advertisement

usmcwife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There might not be enough absorbency. Try adding an extra insert or newborn prefold as an insert.

The most success I had with stripping was using EcoSprout. I soaked them overnight in the bathtub in hot water and follow the directions for soaking with EcoSprout (it comes with the bag). Then rinse rinse rinse in my he front loader. The delicate cycle uses the most water.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Leaking issue with FB

Are they repelling water? If you take a dry diaper and pour water on it does it soak in or bead off? If they are not repelling it could be a fit or absorbency issue.
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not guessing that its a stripping issue - but rather a fit issue or an absorbancy issue. Is your insert fully saturated when its leaking? If so, then you need to double stuff or possibly add an insert that can take more absorbancy - like a hemp or bamboo - I really like the thirsties hemp prefolds for super absorbancy and still being trim in the fb.

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I second an absorbancy issue. The microfiber inserts only worked for DD until around 4 or 5 months, then we added the thirsties hemp doublers, that worked for another few months, then we discovered walmart flats and i started making inserts out of those, they work great now. We can last 2-3 hours, sometime she'll still out pee a diaper in 30 minutes, but that's what you get with DD, lol. Oh and the minkie inserts never worked.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
If single did you double with same issues?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well coconut oil is perfectly fine to use and washes out so there is no reason it would cause any problems. So then it seems like an absorbency issue. I would try cotton instead of microfiber.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
usmcwife25
Registered Users

I hadn't thought of absorbency being an issue. I'll try some cotton inserts. Good to hear that coconut oil is okay to use! I was afraid I'd ruined them!
usmcwife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a mama at my daycare who uses fuzzibunz and is having a whole host of issues with them. She thinks it might be bad PUL or something, because they all have the same lot number. her little girl pees straight through the PUL.... its not just wicking, its the whole crotch wet, sometimes not 30 minutes after I changed her. I don't have any suggestions though. hope the extra insert works

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote