Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another fb pic...what's not right in this pic?

I've done my best to hide identity of my friend's toddler. Yes, cute, she's sleeping, but the pic is puzzling me. The chestclip is too low. Is that a special buckle on the harness? No idea, looks off. Looks sort of like a rear tether or latch strap, not a regular strap? Hard to tell by position but wondering if shoulder slot should be moved up. She's a very petite just turned 3. How do you lovingly tell someone their carseat does not look right?

Advertisement

Last edited by hopetc; 03-22-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: further cropping for privacy
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

She doesn't need the shoulder straps raised. My pediatrician & graco told me that the shoulder straps must be at or slightly below the child's shoulders. If you move them up to where they are above the shoulders then in the event of an accident the child can be forced into the extra space.

Also I definitely agree that the breast straps need to be raised.

And that latchy thingy on the strap is how you adjust the straps tighten them or loosen them. Instead of having the button in between legs it is on the actual strap. Those are very difficult to adjust too.

I think you should say u went to a Carseat check & they said that the breast straps should be on the breasts. Or I have told a friend this before "Angie don't take this the wrong way I am a just a crazy Carseat nazi you need to tighten the straps so that you can't pinch any or so that only 2 fingers fit, sorry to step on toes but carseats & buckles are for safety, not for comfort." She promptly tightened the straps & thanked me
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another fb pic...what's not right in this pic?

Straps at or slightly below the shoulders is for rear facing at or slightly above is for forward facing. Most people on my facebook have posted pics like this it makes me crazy. I always let them know it is not right and how to fix it. I actually had one mom ask me where I learned how to adjust the straps and where the clip goes.....
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Well I am pretty carseat crazy as well but honestly, I'm only seeing an obviously loose harness and a low chest clip. I'm unconvinced the straps are below her shoulders. If she was sitting straight, it looks to me that they may be *right* above her shoulders, which is acceptable.

At or (right) above for forward facing.
At or below for rear facing.

Eta: the buckle on her harness is supposed to be there. It's the harness adjuster Evenflo uses on many seats. Takes the place of the rear adjuster strap or the one that hangs from the front of the seat on many.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 03-22-2013 at 05:52 AM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is a latch strap being used as a harness strap. Not supposed to be there. Potentially dangerous since the hard casing could cause injury. Also not crash tested that way, so we have no way of knowing if it is safe.

Straps should be at or above her shoulders. Way too loose.

Chest clip should be at armpit level. It is a pre-crash strap positioner, and if it is too low, the straps may not be positioned correctly.

Straps should be bra strap tight. I don't know anyone who wears their bras that loose.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Well I am pretty carseat crazy as well but honestly, I'm only seeing an obviously loose harness and a low chest clip. I'm unconvinced the straps are below her shoulders. If she was sitting straight, it looks to me that they may be *right* above her shoulders, which is acceptable.

Eta: the buckle on her harness is supposed to be there. It's the harness adjuster Evenflo uses on many seats. Takes the place of the rear adjuster strap or the one that hangs from the front of the seat on many.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
This. That harness is a pita, my inlaws have that seat for ds and I always hate adjusting it for them.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, that weird buckle thing is supposed to be there. It's an Evenflo seat and that's how it adjusts.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
She doesn't need the shoulder straps raised. My pediatrician & graco told me that the shoulder straps must be at or slightly below the child's shoulders. If you move them up to where they are above the shoulders then in the event of an accident the child can be forced into the extra space.
Yes, that's true for RF kids. But that seat is only for FF, so I'm assuming the kid is FF, and straps should then be at or above their shoulders, not ever below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I'm unconvinced the straps are below her shoulders. If she was sitting straight, it looks to me that they may be *right* above her shoulders, which is acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
That is a latch strap being used as a harness strap. Not supposed to be there. Potentially dangerous since the hard casing could cause injury. Also not crash tested that way, so we have no way of knowing if it is safe.
No, it's definitely not. It's just the strap adjuster for those evenflo seats.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, the main thing I see is a too-low chest clip. The harness looks a little loose but not so obviously so that I'd try to judge from a fb pic. The harness looks at her shoulders to me (the hole in the shell that it threads through is visible), so if she grows at all it will need to be moved up, but it's ok for now.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, that's an Evenflo Chase. The thing on the straps is the adjuster and the extra strap we see is the tail of the adjuster. From this angle the straps look ok, but's very close. Mainly, I just see that the straps need tightened and chest clip moved up.