Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

summer lunch and dinner ideas?

Summer break has started here. What are some quick or easy lunches and dinners? We don't usually have leftovers and what we do have my SO takes for work lunches. I would also like some ideas that won't heat up the house I have a toaster/convection oven, electric griddle, sandwich maker, black and Decker indoor grill and would like to use my oven as little as possible. I'm just stumped for ideas. For lunch its me DS 10, DS 7, and DD 2. SO works thirds and sleeps all day so I send his dinner with him to work so add one more adult for dinner. No food restrictions or allergies. Thanks!

Advertisement

babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: summer lunch and dinner ideas?

Panini with Ham cheese tomato horseradish
Caprese Salad
Chicken Salad subs
Egg Salad on Toast with cucumber salad
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally stalking.

Hard boiled eggs or cans of tuna/salmon open up a lot of possibilities.
I love avocado, hot or cold.
Super smoothies? We add things like flax seed and spinach to ours, sometimes crisp rice to be filling...I'm sure there are recipes even better for "meals" or as a main dish.
I have a new recipe for pancakes that are OMGSOTASTY. They are healthy and filling but not "heavy" on your stomach. They are naturally sweet tasting so we don't add any syrup to them. Let me know if you'd like it!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Yes, please share the pancake recipe.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would love the pancake recipe.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do a night with yogurt or cottage cheese, cut up fruit & veggies. Sometimes I add a side of almonds or cashews.

bagel veggie sandwiches. Toast bagel smear some avocado on it, cut up colored peppers, cucumber, spinach, arugula, romaine, tomatoes etc. possibilities are endless. We do corn tortilla or pita bread this way too.

Big mixed green salad with lots of veggies, sunflower seeds, raisins, feta cheese, apples, pear.

If you are up early cook a whole chicken before the day heats up or in your convection oven...you might get 2 meals out of it

Breakfast for dinner omelette, pancake or waffles.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

I was coming to ask the same question! We dont have AC so we grill a ton for dinner but lunches get old and boring quick.

Some cool things weve come up with is to put the crock pot outside and do baked potatoes in there. We also do chicken legs or thighs with dry rub and a little evoo(just so it doesnt stick) in the bottom of the crock, foil wrapped potatoes and corn on the cob on top of the chicken. Dont add liquid!!!! Low all day and its all perfect. We do this alot if we will be out all day and dont feel like eating "crockpot" food. Dont use white meat or it will be dry. Boneless country pork ribs and sweet potatoes work really well too. We used an applewood rub and tossed in some 1/2 cored apples rubbed in cinnamon for dessert(wrapped in foil of course!) and a scoop of ice cream. Apple was a little mushy but no one complained. Next time I may add some oats and butter in the packet.

Lunches we use leftover meat as tacos alot. I always have taco toppings/fillings on hand. I heat the corn tortillas on the grill and reheat the meat in the micro or as a foil packet in the grill. Cut up fruit, cheese and crackers, salami. Thats about all Ive got. My kids would survive all summer on microwaved cheese quesadillas if they had it their way.(sometimes I let them)

Last edited by ittybittycoconuts; 05-27-2013 at 07:30 PM.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
mrs.mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Italian Pasta Salad
I cook a box or two of spiral noodles add Italian dressing & parm cheese. The mix ins are endless...We like red bell pepper, black olives, cucumber and pepperoni or crab meat. Yummy & EASY!
mrs.mama is offline   Reply With Quote