Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ebay question UPDATED with a new question

Update:
So I left feedback yesterday. I gave her a neutral, b/c the items were in stated condition, and they arrived quickly. But my feedback says (its is the same for both items) "Seller doubled shipping AFTER auction end, email communication was not pleasant". I thought I was very fair about this. She has sent me a request to change my feedback stating that she "worked with me" and lost money on shipping, etc. I never, ever leave negative feedback for people unless the transaction is really a mess, and honestly I rarely leave neutral either. I would rather not leave feedback than leave bad feedback usually, but this time it just seemed a bit more over the top to me. Does this sound reasonable? I don't want to be unfair.

One last edit: She has now emailed me telling me that she thinks I was curt to her (the actual email I sent her is posted below) and that her response was such b/c of my initial contact with her. I feel a little like this transation will never end.

I won two auctions on Ebay today, both from the same seller. They both had shipping listed as 3.97 for addresses within the US, I live in Wa. When she sent me the invoice, it had shipping listed as $12 with a note that says b/c I live so far away from her (she is in NC), it "more expensive to ship". Now I know darn well it didn't cost her $12 to ship one pair of jeans, a tee and a sundress (size 3T), as my DD has family in NC, and we ship things to them relatively often. So the question....can she change the shipping AFTER I won the auction? I've gone ahead and paid it as I don't want to get reported as a non-paying buyer, but this really bugs me.

Advertisement

Last edited by megs715; 04-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.
megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Ebay question

no, she can't change it like that. You need to report her. She could fit all that into a padded flat rate envelope for less than half that (although not everybody has those). They are probably over 13 ounces, and she is probably sending priority, but unless it's something like 4 pounds it shouldn't be that expensive. I'm wondering if she is sending in medium flat rate box?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
expaik
Registered Users
seller

How could any seller be so idiotic??

If combining the items makes it cost more because the weight is over 13 oz, and she doesn't have the padded FRE, then DUH. Just ship them separately, first class!! The sheer stupidity of sending in a MFRB.

I'm sure she can fit them into a REGULAR cardstock priority flat rate envelope if she doesn't have the padded kind. 3T clothing is slim enough to fit in there, well-taped up. Every PO has the regular flat rate envelopes.

I'd tell her in no certain terms to cut the crap and refund my money, that you'll pay no more than flat rate envelope postage.

Sorry if I sound harsh.. but people who overcharge others by this much just burn me up.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
She can sends an invoice with an adjustment in shipping. I have done that. Then buyer pays that. I could say maybe 6.00 not12.00 to Ship.i have sold lots of clothes on Ebay. I always ask is they combine and how.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for the answers! I did a search of Ebay policy after I posted this..didn't think of that earlier...and sent her this message.

Hello! I have paid the invoice but I am unhappy about the jump in cost of shipping. I did a bit of searching and asking and found this http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...practices.html (under terms and conditions and then what not to do). Please help fix this situation. Thank you, Megan

This is the response I recieved.

Hello. I put a note in the invoice I sent you. The weight of the items caused the shipping to move from First Class to Priority. I charged you EXACTLY what the USPS website said it would cost to ship. The other option would be to not combine shipping and do $3.77 to ship each item seperately - which might actually be cheaper. You live in WA and I live in NC - and because of the distance, the cost to ship Priority is at the most expensive. If you are unhappy with the actual combined cost of shipping - I can break it down and do things individually. However, I do this in the little free time I have - given my feedback I'm sure you can see I'm an honest seller. I do not appreciate people throughing eBay rules at me and accusing me of violating the policies. Please let me know if you want me to break up into 2 shipments for cheaper shipping. If you do, I can refund your money, break out the invoices, and send them seperate. Or honestly, if you are not willing to work with me I would be willing to refund your money and cancel the transaction to not have to worry about getting negative feedback or a low star in shipping costs because of charging actual USPS costs.

Which I have to say I think is a bit snotty. But in my best "be nice" voice, I sent her this:

I appreciate you fixing this. Breaking them up into seperate packages would be fine, or shipping in a flat rate envelope I believe would work as well. Either way would be great. Thank you again, Megan

Does that sound reasonable? Thank you again!

Last edited by megs715; 03-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
expaik
Registered Users
seller

You were way too nice. How dare she accuse you of accusing her? I don't even think the actual cost of first-class shipping on each parcel would be 3.97 (probably more like 2.XX) so she's already profiting .. and she has the gall to charge you another 4.06 beyond what she stated she would charge? She'd rather have the "convenience" of printing one label and using a medium flat rate box, instead of two polymailers and two labels, and passing on the extra charges to you?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
You were way too nice. How dare she accuse you of accusing her? I don't even think the actual cost of first-class shipping on each parcel would be 3.97 (probably more like 2.XX) so she's already profiting .. and she has the gall to charge you another 4.06 beyond what she stated she would charge? She'd rather have the "convenience" of printing one label and using a medium flat rate box, instead of two polymailers and two labels, and passing on the extra charges to you?
Seriously. She listed a shipping price. You bought it at that price. Then she changed it. That's not accusing her of squat, she did it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
kynid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a seller and you can not change the price for shipping after an action has ended unless you lower it.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynid View Post
I am a seller and you can not change the price for shipping after an action has ended unless you lower it.
Yes you can. You can "send invoice" to the buyer and add or subtract anything you want to the shipping price.

But that doesn't make it right.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
kynid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
Yes you can. You can "send invoice" to the buyer and add or subtract anything you want to the shipping price.

But that doesn't make it right.
I guess that is what I meant. If someone buys multiple items from me then I invoice them so they get combined shipping. I guess you could raise the cost, but that violates ebay's terms.