Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how old before

It depends on which car seat she is in. She can do all the chest clips but can only undo some of them. And she can buckle the left side of the crotch buckle but only in one seat. I don't mind though because I need to check it anyway (as should all parents) to make sure she has buckled herself in properly.

I typically toss DD in the back of my car and then get in my seat. I then turn around and help her in her seat. I can buckle her in one-handed and its nice in the winter when I'm not standing out in the cold

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

My daughter was a late five before she could get in/out herself (marathon70).

Last edited by Kätzchen; 03-25-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a Nautilus for my 4 year old and she operates the chest clip fine. I struggle with the crotch clip so I wouldn't expect her to be able do do it at any age. It's very difficult.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
We have a Nautilus for my 4 year old and she operates the chest clip fine. I struggle with the crotch clip so I wouldn't expect her to be able do do it at any age. It's very difficult.
This. Both my 3 and 5 yo can clip and in clip the chest clip of the nautilus, but not the crotch clip. I have a hard time with it too.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD could do it by about 4.5. But DS is turning 4 and nowhere close on the bottom buckle. In our case...this is a good thing. Both were in the same Frontier.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-25-2013 at 07:13 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
Yeah I struggle with the crotch clip because the straps are tight. I just wandered because a lot of her classmates are dropped in the drop off line. parents are not suppose to get out if they are using the drop off line. I have an ford escape and there is no way I could reach to unlatch her from the front so I can't imagine that is what all of them are doing.

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-25-2013 at 02:56 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Hmmm, none of mine can buckle themselves (ages 5m, 2yo, 4yo and almost 6yo). Their straps are super snug. They 6yo can buckle the other ones in and does on occasion and they can all -- except the baby, of course -- buckle their chest clips. I also don't encourage them to unbuckle themselves. I just assumed this was normal that since their straps are so snug it's too difficult for them. Now I'm curious...
I am starting to think that the kids being let out in the drop out lane might be in boosters. I am pretty sure dd is one of maybe 4 kids still in 5 point harness in her class. I bet most of them are in boosters. The 3 year old that i knew that could get out had loose straps. DD's are tight too. I have trouble getting the crouch clip latched so I don't think she could do it. Hmm, I won't be moving her to a booster until ds is ready to move to her seat (that is if she weighs enough for the booster by then, she is a slow gainer- she could probably stay in it until 13 if it weren't for her height). He has 10 pounds before he outgrows his current seat.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

DD1 could do all the buckles up by 5, but still can't undo the crotch straps at nearly 7, but they are hard for me and DH to undo (she is in a booster now anyways) DD2 can only do up her chest clip at 4.5. Our seats are Nautilus, and they seem to have a sweet spot you have to hit for them to open right (sometimes one side comes out but not the other). I can reach DD2 from the drivers seat if I move the seat back, but I can never get the strap undone that way!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
For real, those suckers are hard! My DD is 5 in a Nautilus and can get in and buckle the chest clip, then she waits patiently for me to get her fully strapped in. I forgot once or twice and she wailed from the backseat - I barely got 3 feet into the driveway.

A bunch of kids in my DD's preschool class are in boosters or nothing at all, they just hop right out of the car.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it might depend on the seat too, some seem a LOT easier to buckle/unbuckle than others. ODS and DD both had/have a graco Nautilus...both could buckle themselves up by 4, DS could unbuckle by 4.5, DD is 4.5 and nowhere near being able to unbuckle herself. ODS could handle buckling & unbuckling himself in a booster at 4 as well, DD can unbuckle but can't buckle with a booster. DD moved out of her Classic Marathon at 3.5 and never even attempted to buckle or unbuckle, not sure if she could or not. My niece could undo her AOE at 2.5, but I know my sister never had it snug enough, so I'm sure it was easy for her to pop the chest clip, slip her arms out, then just slide right out...sometimes I'd find one side of the crotch buckle undone after she got out, sometimes both sides, sometimes the crotch buckle would still be totally buckled and she'd be standing in the seat. She was always properly buckled & snug in my car (Scenera and Nautilus at different times) and she never even attempted to unbuckle in my car.

Last edited by smashncakes; 03-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote