Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am at a loss! My boys birthdays are comming (ds2 April 25th- multiple food allergies) & ds1 April 28th. They will be 2 & 4. I have absolutely no clue what to do! Brunch, lunch, just deserts, ect. :/ ds2 is allergic to; soy, milk, eggs, peanuts, treenuts, shellfish & I'm suspecting gluten now. He's been super itchy after eating it and I know *I* am now allergic or at least very sensitive to it now. (Gaining 5 lbs of bloat can't be good, right?!?!)
Anyways: it's a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme.
Ideas I have had this far:
Hot dog bar (I would have to buy special buns that will cost an arm & a leg & I cannot be sure that everyone would even like them. He's Ana to milk so I'm not sure I'm willing to offer everyone else regular buns, though I guess I dot have a HUGE problem with it.
I have a gluten free cake recipe but I have not tried it. I've been considering just making a watermelon cake but I know ds1 would be disappointed. I also think I'll do Mickey Mouse shaped rice Krispy treats dipped in melted enjoy life chocolate chips.
I've seen cake pops (ds1 would LOVE, been wondering if I could make a raw food version somehow) but there are no white chocolate melts that are allergen free to dip in that I al aware of. I've thought of using coconut butter & dying some but I'm not convinced it'll work & for the time & price involved I'm nervous to try it.
I could probably just do like chicken wings, salad, fruit the Rice Krispy treats & cake.... But there will e little kids & I'm not sure chicken wings will go over & know the salad won't.
I also thought if just doing mini muffin corn dogs or pretzel dogs but those recipes contain gluten. Or, mini muffin meat loves with a ketchup mickey on top? Lol...suggestions please?!
ETA allergen :/

Advertisement

E-2.1.14

Last edited by mrseum; 03-26-2013 at 07:07 AM.
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gelp me plan allergy friendly birthday party?!

I don't think the coconut oil will work. I've been trying to figure out the cake pop coating too. they do make vegan white chocolate chips but I have no idea what is in them. they would be an internet order. But since its Mickey Mouse you could melt the enjoy life chips and use that to coat the cake pops. Then melt marshmallows (soy is not one of ours so you'll have to check to see if you can use marshmallows) with a little coconut oil. Maybe try to dye that for your red. Not sure if it will work but at the very least you will be able to do the black and white between the chocolate and marshmallows.

how about a taco bar with corn tortillas or corn chips?

You could do Mickey Mouse or toodles shaped mini hamburger patties- thinking meatloaf or meatball seasoned but flattened kind of like these but finger food sized http://www.flickriver.com/photos/capitrueno/423192904/

This is going to seem like an odd suggestion but pizza http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mickey%20mouse%20pizza Just don't call it pizza- maybe mickey mouse bread or something. We serve cheeseless pizza all the time and the kids never seem to mind. You'll just have to get a gluten free crust mix or recipe if you don't already have one.

i can't remember if oreos are soy free (they are nuts and dairy) but if they are you can melts a few min marshmallows to use as glue. Cut a marshmallow in half and glue them an oreo as ears then dip the whole thing in melted choc chips. Or you could use mini oreos for the ears too.

Don't know of you considered this, but I have been dying to try this http://www.neat2eat.com.au/blog/2012...uit-only-cake/ you can even make it a layer cake if you want. Also if your worried about your recipe try Namaste cake mix. We have not tried the cake mix, but we have the brownie mix with some enjoy life chips mixed in and they are really, really good. Like the parents at our classroom party were drooling over them. http://www.vitacost.com/namaste-food...FYtxOgodX0gAMw Our local store carries them in the specialty food section. You could probably get it from a health food store too.

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-26-2013 at 08:39 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah- my b-day is the 28th too. You got 2 hard headed tauruses to deal with .
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fruit? Maybe do slices of apple or pear with grapes as ears?

Have slices of ham/lunch meat and have the kids cut them out with cookie cutters...

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-26-2013 at 09:32 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
I don't think the coconut oil will work. I've been trying to figure out the cake pop coating too. they do make vegan white chocolate chips but I have no idea what is in them. they would be an internet order. But since its Mickey Mouse you could melt the enjoy life chips and use that to coat the cake pops. Then melt marshmallows (soy is not one of ours so you'll have to check to see if you can use marshmallows) with a little coconut oil. Maybe try to dye that for your red. Not sure if it will work but at the very least you will be able to do the black and white between the chocolate and marshmallows.

how about a taco bar with corn tortillas or corn chips?

You could do Mickey Mouse or toodles shaped mini hamburger patties- thinking meatloaf or meatball seasoned but flattened kind of like these but finger food sized http://www.flickriver.com/photos/capitrueno/423192904/

This is going to seem like an odd suggestion but pizza http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mickey%20mouse%20pizza Just don't call it pizza- maybe mickey mouse bread or something. We serve cheeseless pizza all the time and the kids never seem to mind. You'll just have to get a gluten free crust mix or recipe if you don't already have one.

i can't remember if oreos are soy free (they are nuts and dairy) but if they are you can melts a few min marshmallows to use as glue. Cut a marshmallow in half and glue them an oreo as ears then dip the whole thing in melted choc chips. Or you could use mini oreos for the ears too.

Don't know of you considered this, but I have been dying to try this http://www.neat2eat.com.au/blog/2012/12/20/fruit-only-cake/ you can even make it a layer cake if you want. Also if your worried about your recipe try Namaste cake mix. We have not tried the cake mix, but we have the brownie mix with some enjoy life chips mixed in and they are really, really good. Like the parents at our classroom party were drooling over them. http://www.vitacost.com/namaste-foods-cake-mix-vanilla?csrc=GPF-PA-850403000103&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_ sku=850403000103&gclid=COXdysvKmrYCFYtxOgodX0gAMw Our local store carries them in the specialty food section. You could probably get it from a health food store too.
Stubborn is right! DH's bday is the 11th & FIL's is the 25th too! April is crazy for us.
Thanks for the marshmallows idea! I may give it a try. I wonder if I could blend the cake w/melted marshmallows to make the balls since there really isn't a frosting I've found. I think the best bet is just Choco covered Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie treats. I found 1 kind of tortilla that disnt contain soy oil, & it's difficult to come buy so unfortunately the tacos wouldn't work. The meatballs could work by I always have a problem with them sticking to the pan no matter how well I grease it! Oreos
Also
Have soy lecithin so those are out for us. There use I'd be all all
Over it.
I'm wondering about the namaste cake. I've used the Cherrybrook farms sugar cookie mix with success- so I tried the chocolate cake based on rave reviews & it was cardboard. Horrible! I had to throw it away. Maybe namaste would
Be better. Thank you for your suggestions!
E-2.1.14
Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could try the melted marshmallows. What flavor do you want to make? You could probably use choc chips as the glue. If your thinking of making frosting Earth's Balance makes really good frosting- if you can find the Soy free one. Its kind of hit and miss at our local store with the soy free one. If you want to do the meatballs just oil your pan real good. I usually use glass to bake mine.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Boo on soy lechitin. DS is a 3-4 for soy, but our allergist told us that soy lecithin is ok for kids with soy allergies because it isn't processed by the body.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would keep it food free! My son has very severe food allergies to the extent that he's on a liquid medical diet only so I completely understand.

At their ages and with the extent of their allergies, a party with food does not sound safe at all. I'd worry that they could get into something or someone could feed them something they can't have.

I'd find a bunch of fun party games and plan the party in between meal times. Let people know that given their allergies, it will be a food free party. Then there will be no worries and everyone can enjoy the day. We do food free parties for my son and we've had a great time.

For cake, I made a lollipop tree (the only safe thing my son can have, Dum-Dum lollipops). It was super cute and safe for everyone.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls (10, 13 & 19) & 1 sweet little guy (3)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
For cake mixes, Pamela's are delicious.

You can make buttercream frosting for it with palm oil shortening.

A nacho bar would be fun with tortilla chips, taco meat, tomato, avocado, etc.

Gluten Free Goddess has lots of great recipes too that are usually vegan as well.

Don't over stress yourself about this. You don't have to make it Pinterest worthy for your kids to be excited about it.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Boo on soy lechitin. DS is a 3-4 for soy, but our allergist told us that soy lecithin is ok for kids with soy allergies because it isn't processed by the body.
Yeah- unfortunately my dude is that sensitive to it. :/
E-2.1.14