Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I'd lose it. At least she had permission but I would have gone off about the length.

One time my sis was babysitting my brother's girls and decided that the older one needed a trim (split ends make her crazy) so she cut it. My SIL went ballistic and my sister didn't get the big deal. Needless to say, she doesn't watch my kids. Who does that?

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: MIL took my daughter to get her hair cut

I do know stylist always cut off more than I want (on my hair). I now have them show me how much they intend to cut off and I always tell them the cut off less than what I really want because they always cut off more. I think hair stylists have something against long hair. They see long hair and just want to cut it all off. It'll grow back, try to enjoy the cute new look for now knowing in the future you'll be there standing over for any hair cuts.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I'd be mad. Did she have your permission to get her hair cut at all? And if she did...why would she go so short?! I did a bob on my DD when she was little, but she had thin hair that wasn't the same length. I did it to make it the same length but now she has hair like 4 inches below her shoulders...and that is where it will stay (or longer). The bob was cute, but it was a necessity at the time for us.

I hope your little one's hair grows quickly.

Last edited by Jewelgurl137; 03-26-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Jewelgurl137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone. I'm calmer now, it was just such a shock. MIL is well-meaning, but over-stepping, and our relationship is a bit tense at the best of times. I'd have been less angsty about it if the bloody woman had just said, I'm sorry, I know it's not what you wanted, at least it's still cute.

In the meantime, I've got all my daughter's hair bands for my own use - my hair's longer than hers for the first time since she was 3 months old .
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would have lost it. But it definitely sounds like something my MIL would do, mine would do it without permission as well. I feel for you
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Oh no. It's so much more shocking when you're not there to see it first. Considering you said it was uneven, I wonder if it's shorter because she kept trying to even it up?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I'm so sorry. I would be livid too.

My mil took my nephew for his first cut ever when he spent a weekend with her at 1 yr old. She wasn't ill intentioned, but that's how her mother was with her kids so..she tried to help!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #18
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Been there. A month or so ago my mother cut my first born's hair, for the first time ever while I was in class, butchered it and didn't even save a lock of it. I'm still not over it. And I'm still livid. So sorry mama.

ETA: Just to add to it, she knew I didn't want his hair cut. I refused to even consider it. He had gorgeous curly flips at the end, and beautiful blond hair. Now he has butchered, uneven, obviously cut with dull crap scissors bangs and I don't even want to take photos of him because it pisses me off to look at them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-27-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #19
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yikes, I'd cry too. My relationship with my MIL sounds pretty similar to yours. By necessity b/c we live so far apart but if we were closer to each other geography-wise, I know it'd be worse. She always always always asks to cut DS's hair when we are there. I find it odd the way she obsesses over it.

Just take a deep breath. It will grow. And repeat that over and over until you feel better b/c I know it'd take me awhile to get over it.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is very much whst happened with Gigi when she was around 19 months. I let mil take her to get a trim and it turned into a short bob which was still cute but not close to what I said. I reconciled it in my mind by blaming myself for giving mil any responsibility or autonomy at all. Every time I have given my mil any latitude I have regretted it and I always blame myself because I should know better by now. I have countless mundane examples.