Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
5 year old seems interested in Boys?

My daughter will be 6 next month. I am a little concerned as she said to me the other day she really LIKES a certain boy. I asked her what she meant by that and she said he was her friend and he was really funny. I dropped it. Today, Im in the pick up line and there is a little boy standing next to her and she started resting her head on his shoulder, he was clearly oblivious and a few times seems uncomfortable. She made it a POINT to get his attention and say goodbye to him and then hug him. I was kind of disturbed by this. She seems YOUNG to like boys. We have brought up in passing that she having friends that are boys is ok, but we only hug and kiss daddy, grampy, and someday her husband.

I reiterated today when she got in the car (this was a different boy than she mentioned before). She said some of the girls kiss this little boy but she doesn't.

A. Im worried about my daughter
B. Where are the teachers when said "kissing" is going on (I believe my daughter, I've met her classmates, there are 2 in particular who seem under supervised at party events and seem really sassy and "old" for their age, who I know have picked on Abrielle before, so I don't doubt some of them are more advanced)
C. I spoke to Abrielle about it but is there much of anything we can do?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 year old seems interested in Boys?

What bothers you about it? I'm not seeing a problem
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She shouldn't be interested in boys, shouldn't be hugging them, her classmates should not be kissing. I'm concerned the teachers were standing there and they didn't say anything. If she felt the need to tell me out of the blue she is interested in a boy, she is thinking about it and that seems young to me. I don't want the behavior to continue.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I wonder why she is feeling the need to seek attention from boys? I never see her relying on her GIRL friends for that kind of affection in the pick up line, that makes me think its a little bit of attraction, I guess I want to nip it in the bud now. But I don't want to overdo it and say too much. I just asked her not to do it again. I think the teacher should have said something.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

I remember having crushes as young as 4. I also had mostly boys as friends because I was a tomby and didnt like girls as much. That could be because I only have brothers and didnt know how to relate and play with girls.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's normal. In kindergarden there was a boy I kissed on the bus. One day I got tired of him and kicked him away. I didn't actually date someone till I was 17 and he's my current SO.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I remember having little crushes at that age too. I think it was just along the lines of playing house, make believe, emulating relationships they've seen, etc. At that age, I don't think its sexual. It wouldn't concern me.

ETA: I had a couple of little "boyfriends" back then. I didn't have my first romantic kiss until I was 13 or 14 and was a virgin until I was 19. Having kindergarten boyfriends didn't corrupt me.

Last edited by Mama*Kim; 03-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is exactly what I needed to hear! She is my oldest and Im just so nervous. A little background, I was not watched very well and had an awful relationship with my dad and was not a virgin by 14. I want different for my daughters. Thank you so so so much for reassuring me!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry if I was overreacting. LOL I probably sound totally NUTS! LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's perfectly normal; out next door neighbor girl (5) has a 'crush' on much older guys but it's all fun and games