Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I would keep talking with her about appropriate behavior with boys. I would NOT be cool at all with kissing or hugging boys at that age. I would also make sure the teacher knows other girls are kissing this boy.

It wouldn't fly well in our house.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 5 year old seems interested in Boys?

I had crushes since I was very little. My own daughter had crushes by age two or three.

They have little "crushes" on Daddy for a while, but then they start liking boys. Boys on TV, real boys, etc. Heck I bet there are millions of little girls who already have a crush on Justin Bieber.

It's normal, healthy and not dangerous. The teachers are not going to see everything. They are teaching, not parenting.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had my first crush on a classmate at 5 or 6, and all through grade school. I never kissed a boy until I was almost 16, and I saved my virginity for my wedding night when I was 22.

I would not be happy about the 5-6 year olds kissing, though. If it was one of my kids I would be chewing someone out. If I heard about it going on with someone else's child I would let the teacher or principle know so they could address it with the children and their parents. It's just not appropriate for children too young to understand boundaries.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I liked boys at that age.

very much so. I didn't end up being a bad kid or anything, but I definitely had an early interest in boys. I didn't want anything 'physical' though.. was a bit freaked out by that thought and told my mom and sister that I would marry a boy who never wanted to have sex.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my first "boyfriend" in kindergarten, kissed him too. Our moms sat us down and told us we were not old enough for that. But I still said he was my boyfriend forever.

I didn't actually date anyone until I was in college, so I don't think it lead to anything weird Just a normal phase.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My sister used to sit and watch tv with a boy we knew. They would sit with their arms around each others shoulder. It was kinda funny and cute. She didn't start dating until her 20s and married a virgin at the age of 22.

When my daughter was 2 1/2 she and I went to visit my dad for a few weeks. We were going to visit my step mother's family when my daughter turned to me and asked me, " Will there be boys?". Not will there be girls or even will there be kids. She was already interested in boys at the tender age of 2 1/2. She now, at age 14, has a different crush ever week it seems.

Just adding I would nip the kissing in the bud. The interest in boys though is just normal.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 03-26-2013 at 06:39 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

my dd is starting this. she has told me that she thinks a boy in her class is cute. not a major issue but shes never said that about anyone else in her class and i feel that 5 years old is too early to develop romantic feelings about the other sex. my mom thinks its the cutest thing to say that she has a "gift with men". thats disgusting. she is a child and should be playing and learning and nothing more. and i do not mean learning anatomy by playing doctor.

i think it is so engrained in our culture at such an early age that girls are supposed to fall in love and get married and make babies. go down the toy isles directed at girls in the store and you will see what i mean. watch a disney princess movie and what is the message you get from it? i'm not saying that if your kid watches a disney movie they are a mindless drone but media plays a very big role in our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
I have a 6yr old girl, we homeschool so she's not around little boys all day (except the neighbor boy but he's mean) and she has older sisters who are not interested in boys yet. But this is who she is planning on marrying:

Yep, a Korean pop star. She is going to learn to speak Korean and move there and marry him when she is grown up.
this makes me feel so much better! i worry about the influences of her classmates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I would keep talking with her about appropriate behavior with boys. I would NOT be cool at all with kissing or hugging boys at that age. I would also make sure the teacher knows other girls are kissing this boy.

It wouldn't fly well in our house.
this. not cool at all.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had crushes on boys by 4 and had a "boyfriend" in 1st grade who dumped me for a 2nd grader. I has a major crush on this kid in my preschool class. One of the boys in dd's class seems to like hugging girls and telling them he loves them. My dd hasn't had any crushes she let me know about yet. I think both are normal. I didn't have an actual boyfriend until 18.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 03-26-2013 at 09:01 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I was 5, I went round telling everyone, including his and my mother, that Tom Button (also 5) was my prince. We chased each other round the class with kisses.

I was *very* sheltered, but romance and love is everywhere in a child's world - she sees it in the love you have for your partner, and the mother-daughter love you share, in books and fairy tales, in Noah's Ark, in religious stories and historical stories, in folk songs and pop songs and classical music...

Your daughter sounds like a normal, affectionate child
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #30
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Another early crusher here. There was a boy in my preschool that I used to beat up and kiss because I 'liked' him. I wouldn't worry.