Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Potty Learning and it's going great, but...

So we started potty learning Sunday night. It's going great, very smoothly. She's doing it with pretty much no prompting, one accident yesterday when she was outside playing (I knew I should have brought the potty out with her!) I sent her in panties to preschool (4 hr long 8-1230) well she refused to go on their potty at all, and about 1130 she peed herself, but otherwise it's going great.

Except she hasn't pooped since we started. I know they say poop is the hardest to master. I think she's holding it. I mean she has to be! I don't know what to do, should I pt her in a diaper and let her sneak off? or just keep holding out waiting for it to happen?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Learning and it's going great, but...

Make sure her fruit and fiber intake is high, along with lots of fluids, because it's pretty common for kids to become constipated around the time that they potty train. You could also look for signs that she might have to go (running off to hide in the corner, or whatever) and then set her on the potty and read to her for a little while to help her relax and maybe go. Or if she wants privacy, give her some books or little toys and let her be.
If you can get her to go on the potty that way, great. If not, and you're getting worried, then I don't think there's anything wrong with letting her put a diaper on to go for a while. Potty training is a process that is going to be a little different for each child. Eventually they all get it, and if she needs to use the diaper to poop for a little while, that's not the end of the world.
All the best!

Last edited by ~Cricket~; 03-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
~Cricket~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are worried she is constipated, getting her to go is more important than getting her to go in the potty. She will have a lot more fear about it if she withholds for too long and it is uncomfortable. Been there, done that, NOT fun and caused a huge regression for us.

We still put them in a diaper at night until they are dry for a week since night time dryness doesn't have to happen at the same time as potty training. For a while they pooped in that diaper because it's what they knew.

Right now my daughter is sort of doing the same thing, she is going less, but still going. It's gotten to the point there where I have been close to giving her miralax just to make sure that she goes, but we're not worrying so much about where at this point if she seems to be hesitant to go in the potty.

We're making small progress though, she has gone twice in the potty now, I just still think she is unsure about it and withholding a bit since she is going far less than she was before she started using the potty.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Thanks guys, she still didn't go. She's in a night diaper now. Hopefully she will either go in the morning when she first wakes up. Otherwise I'll try giving her some food to help promote healthy bowel habits, haha. (not over do it though)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

She did it and in the potty! And I may have told my husband last night, "I hope she just poops in her diaper tonight" but I'm so glad it was in the potty it was a monster. I gave her raisin bran for breakfast and a fruitables with a tiny bit of miralax.

There was just so much and half of it you could tell was very old and hard. Poor baby girl.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It took my daughter a few days to get comfortable pooping on the potty. She would ask me for a diaper when she had to poop and so I would give her a diaper, she pooped and we would go back in undies. She finally started pooping on the potty and now only uses diapers for bed at night. For my daughter it was the seated position he had trouble with. She is a standing up pooper so she had to get used to sitting and pooping.