Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to worry about fevers...?

I think I need some experienced mom advice on ds's odd fever.
He woke up this morning with a little cough, which I assumed was allergy related since he's had the sniffles and mine have been acting up as well. He ate a late breakfast/lunch around 10am, and snacked a bit around 11. 2pm he is begins getting tired, complains about being too hot, even though it's maybe 60 degrees in here, and shortly after he starts getting a fever. As of right now, his temp has been a steady 103F for 3 hours, but he's been asleep for most of that. He hasn't wanted to be touched at all and has said "My legs keep pulling me down" when he stood up.
When he wakes up I'll give him some tylenol if it hasn't gone down, but my question is- when should I be worried? Should I be worried now? As an infant he had seizures but I was always told not to be concerned until it was near 104.

ETA- I had to force him to drink something just after 3pm, it's now 8pm and he's got no thirst. When should I worry about that??

Advertisement

Last edited by nothingtosee; 03-26-2013 at 06:09 PM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: When to worry about fevers...?

Get fluids in regularly starting now. Dehydration can happen quickly with fever and children. I would wake my kids every 2 hours when sleeping to drink even if only a few sips. If awake it would be a few sips every 30-60 minutes. Although my kids have been very sick with high fevers, vomiting, and diahhrea they have never been hospitalized for dehydration. If you can use pedialyte. We use it on children and adults alike.

When my older son was a baby and ebf he had whooping cough which caused him to vomit after each coughing episode. So like 12-15+times daily. Ebf was just not enough. I had to add in just a bit of pedialyte. I had to give it to him with a syringe. It worked wonders on him. He went from non responsive to alert in a few minutes. Yes I did have him in to the ER and the pedis multiple times and multiple ERs. They all told me whooping cough didn't exist anymore and there were no tests to test for it. Which isn't true but I couldn't get them to listen. (Added so no one thinks I was avoiding medical care.

So if he refuses to drink I would get and use a syringe to ensure he is getting adequate fluids.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 03-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just went through a week of recurring fevers with my 4 year old. Our Dr said be concerned if it is 104 or higher or doesnt go down with Tylenol. She also said dont wake them to give fever reducer. Just wait until they wake up. Force the fluids, popsicles, jello, anything they can keep down. Good luck, sick kiddos are the worst!
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

My kid regularly goes over 104 with no ill effects (seriously, he was PLAYING the last time), so 103 is nothing to panic about. I would worry if the fever doesn't go down with Tylenol or if there were any other red flag symptoms (lethargy, confusion, stiff/painful neck, etc). Otherwise, rest and fluids. Dress in light, breathable fabrics. Also, febrile seizures have more to do with how fast the temp goes up than with how high, so I wouldn't be overly worried about that at this point.

Good luck!
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

^ while one of mine acts similar while running a fever, her kiddo is clearly not reacting the same way so it is something to be concerned about.

Motrin is preferred over Tylenol for reducing fever, and if the fever doesn't break with medicine and or compresses/ bath or your kiddo starts to be unresponsive take him in.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Alright, thank you for the responses!

He woke up just long enough to cry that he felt "badder" and was cold, so I had him take a sip of water and some fever reducer. Next time he wakes up I'm going to recheck him. It's so unlike him to be acting this way, especially the fact that he asked me to turn the light off because it was making his head hurt!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

I'd definitely keep a close eye. He's obviously pretty miserable but hopefully the fever goes down with the medication and he is feeling well enough to get some fluids in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
^ while one of mine acts similar while running a fever, her kiddo is clearly not reacting the same way so it is something to be concerned about.
Sorry if I was unclear - I meant that 103 is nothing to panic about in and of itself, but of course if he doesn't respond to the medication or if any other worrisome symptoms occur, or if he continues to resist fluid, he should be seen.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Is he vaccinated? That is a touchy subject on here but Meningitis is very serious and can get really, really bad fast... It happened to my cousin and I never want to see anyone get it again!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would be very worried about dehydration. If my kids won't drink and their fevers stay above 102 after medicine, we take them in. My son was really bad one time and ended up with the flu and pneumonia (it came on FAST). Hope you can get some fluids of some kind into him...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kts1120
We just went through a week of recurring fevers with my 4 year old. Our Dr said be concerned if it is 104 or higher or doesnt go down with Tylenol. She also said dont wake them to give fever reducer. Just wait until they wake up. Force the fluids, popsicles, jello, anything they can keep down. Good luck, sick kiddos are the worst!
This. 104 is fine if it comes down with fever reducer. And if they take sips thru the day, no need to panic