Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Emergency Birth Kit

I'm planning on a hospital birth but I live an hour away so I was thinking I should be prepared just in case. So I was thinking of buying an emergency birth kit. But all the ones I've looked at online seem to be mostly just gauze pads, gloves, etc, stuff that either isn't really necessary or I already have. So what do I really need that I won't be able to substitute with stuff around the house? If I did happen to give birth at home, I would NOT want to have to go into the hospital, I'd just take the new baby into the pediatrician as soon as possible.

Advertisement

bcb1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Emergency Birth Kit

I had the same thoughts as we live 30 min drive from the hospital --that doesn't include time to get the other kids in the car/have a neighbor get to the house and my 2nd was 20 min from first real contraction till he was born. DH works evenings/nights so it was/is just me and the older kids at home from 3pm till 10pm every night

I didn't want to spend the money and I was GBS positive and that freaks me out so I just made sure my older DS knew how to call 911 and since we live in a small town I called the local EMS and talked with them and talked with my close neighbors and had all the back ups in place.

Figures that since i had everything worked out JIK I ended up not needing any of it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah see that's the route I DON'T want to take. I haven't tested for GBS yet though (was neg. first pregnancy). If I called 911 that would mean an extremely expensive one hour ambulance ride. I want to have the necessities so I can avoid doing that. Of course, hopefully I'll be like you and not need any of it!

I don't mind spending the money but I feel like it's a waste to buy a kit that is mostly gauze pads, gloves, and straws LOL.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say a cord clamp and some good scissors is all you really NEED. You can order both of those at Precious Arrows or any other homebirth supply company.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

I would get chux pads too.
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy View Post
I would say a cord clamp and some good scissors is all you really NEED. You can order both of those at Precious Arrows or any other homebirth supply company.
That is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
maddogabeplusone
Registered Users
seller
seller

You don't even need the clamp and scissors. You can just keep the cord attached to the placenta until you transfer. If you plan to stay home though, you will need them.
maddogabeplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogabeplusone View Post
You don't even need the clamp and scissors. You can just keep the cord attached to the placenta until you transfer. If you plan to stay home though, you will need them.
That's a nice way to make sure the baby stays with you But if I accidently delivered at home, I wouldn't go to the hospital unless there were complications. The hospital is an hour away but my OB and our pediatrician are 5 minutes away so I would get the first available appointments there. There is a small local hospital I can go to for labwork and such.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
keevelish
Registered Users

I had an unassisted birth on March 1st. We didn't use a clamp, just a bit of wool yarn. Used sterlized kitchen shears for the cord. Bath towels, and I did find chux pads very helpful in keeping the bed clean while I was resting after the birth. That's really everything.
keevelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

I'm planning on throwing down a shower curtain and a few blankets wherever I end up (if things move too quickly) - and then heading to hospital after - either via ambulance (which won't be called until AFTER the delivery if we can help it) or by DH.
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote