Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Things to help my left hander?

My 2 1/2 yr old is my only leftie. What things would make it easier for him? Left handed scissors? I am sure those would help bc even though he has great small motor actions, he cannot do the regular scissors. Any other items or tips?

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure about the scissors since DDs aren't left or right. They are round so using with either hand is fine. Don't let him get in the habit of "mirror writing", going from right to left. I put a star on the right side of DDs paper so she has a reminder in case she slips up. Whenever you (or anyone) are showing him how to write or if your coloring with him use your left hand. When using the right hand your moving away from the what you have written and left handed people move over what they have written. It will just confuse him and promote mirror writing. Left handers also tend to write letters starting on the "wrong" side. DD has some Kumon books that we use to help her write her letters and numbers. She can do them perfectly fine in her book but when she is on her own she will do stuff like start on the right side of the A instead of the left. I actually haven't corrected her because I personally don't see the harm in it as long as she is writing the correct letter. I did google a lot to figure out how to approach it because my cousin had a very hard time being a left hander and I didn't wanna to through that with DD. Good luck!

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 03-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Ah, did not know about round handled ones.
Interesting about mirror writing. I'm planning on homeschooling so these are good things to know.
We were at an Easter egg hunt doing games and people kept handing him stuff like balls and darts to throw in his right hand. He was clumsy at best. When I suggested he switch hands, he was scarily accurate for his age, lol.

Great info, thanks!!

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Things to help my left hander?

I'm a leftie but I don't use left handed scissors. I don't know any that do actually. Left handed scissors are rarely available so it's easier to just learn with your right.

A lot of lefties are very ambidextrous so don't assume he's actually always a leftie.

No one ever paid any attention to my left handedness and there were never any issues. My mum used to worry that she couldn't teach me to sew and do needlepoint but I had no problem doing it with the opposite hand. Cursive writing was always a bit of a pain but I don't even know if anyone does that anymore.

I will add that I have no idea why right handed people have the mouse on the right side of their keyboard - I can write and click at the same time and always think it would be such a hassle to not be able to do that!
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

thanks! he is not ambi at all. like even going down the stairs he goes over to the left to hold the railing and if something is in his right hand, he will put it in his left to do something with it. i wondered if he would use both but i have observed him looking very confused at his right hand- like if you handed him a ball in his right and told him to throw it
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am left handed and can't use left handed scissors to save my life. Mirror writing would probably help and having him tilt his paper or he will drag his hand through what he writes and smear it. Once he gets to the point of using notebooks and such, they have some that are spiral bound at the top that are easier to write on since the spiral binding isn't under your hand/wrist.

Over the years I have taught myself how to do some things like crochet and such watching videos and changing it to what works for me. The only thing I do right handed is play the guitar, everything else is left handed.

Last edited by foggierbard9; 03-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.
foggierbard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

did you find pencils better? I can also use loose leaf since we are gonna homeschool, but good idea about the spirals!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The biggest issue was the eraseable pens that they required in the lower grades...I would erase the whole thing as I was writing and have nothing but smears of mess on my paper and my side of my hand was colored blue or black. Pencils were a lot better and once I got to Pens, I don't has as much issue with regular pens now unless I am writing a ton of stuff and then sometimes my hand will pick up some ink, but usually not much will smear at all.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9
The biggest issue was the eraseable pens that they required in the lower grades...I would erase the whole thing as I was writing and have nothing but smears of mess on my paper and my side of my hand was colored blue or black. Pencils were a lot better and once I got to Pens, I don't has as much issue with regular pens now unless I am writing a ton of stuff and then sometimes my hand will pick up some ink, but usually not much will smear at all.
Wow, this just gave me flashbacks from grade school. I'm a lefty too, and I always had an inked up hand with those darn erasable pens!
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9
I am left handed and can't use left handed scissors to save my life. Mirror writing would probably help and having him tilt his paper or he will drag his hand through what he writes and smear it. Once he gets to the point of using notebooks and such, they have some that are spiral bound at the top that are easier to write on since the spiral binding isn't under your hand/wrist.

Over the years I have taught myself how to do some things like crochet and such watching videos and changing it to what works for me. The only thing I do right handed is play the guitar, everything else is left handed.
I write in notebooks starting at the back. That way I can still use the cheap notebooks they have on sale before school starts.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote