Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Things to help my left hander?

Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
The biggest issue was the eraseable pens that they required in the lower grades...I would erase the whole thing as I was writing and have nothing but smears of mess on my paper and my side of my hand was colored blue or black. Pencils were a lot better and once I got to Pens, I don't has as much issue with regular pens now unless I am writing a ton of stuff and then sometimes my hand will pick up some ink, but usually not much will smear at all.
I'd forgotten about those! Yeah, totally useless to a leftie. I didn't even know they still made those?

I wonder if I hold my pen oddly because the spiral notebooks don't bother me?

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Things to help my left hander?

some lefties are fairly ambidextrous, some are very strongly left. Just like some righties are fairly ambidextrous, some are strongly "right". My brother and I are both lefties, I'm pretty ambi and he's VERY strongly left. I remember my mom getting stuff for him from a specialty lefthanded store, it's in the UK so with shipping it was a bit more pricey but there were things that were VERY helpful for him.

Some things to keep in mind if he's strongly left: the different sides of the brain perform different functions and think in different ways. He's likely to be more artistic/big picture/instinctive than language/math/analytical. Google "sides of the brain" for more info.

Don't let him "hook" his hand around, but writing properly with your left is more than just slanting your paper the other way. You could have him hold the pencil slightly further away from the tip than you would as a right-hander.

I'd write more but the baby just woke up. Good luck!
4 in 5 years, what were we thinking? July 07, April 09, Nov 10, and August 12
chello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Registered Users
Good info! Will look at that site when on laptop

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote