Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Thumbsuckers, when to stop it?

My DS is 5. He has sucked his thumb since he was in the womb. He only sucks when he has his blankie, and will not without it. He is a comfort/boredom/sleep time sucker. Lately he has been telling me his teeth hurt. I know it's time. I want it to be gentle and for him to be part of it. What's the best way to go about this? Our older boys used packs and that was easy. I'm lost with this one.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Re: Thumbsuckers, when to stop it?

Our dd also thumb sucked until around that age. We let the dentist discuss the problems that went along with prolonged thumb sucking and he helped convince her to stop. I think we were at a loss what to do also, so getting the professional involved helped us.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am probably not the one to ask. DD had a very strong suck reflex and need, even in the womb. She took a paci until she was 3 and took up thumb sucking around 4.5-5 years old. She didn't stop until she was around 9 or 10. It was constant when she was younger and only for comfort as she got older.

We knew she would need braces regardless, so we didn't push it too hard. We talked to her about it and encouraged her to stop, nothing worked because she didn't want to stop. She stopped on her own a year or two ago, it was gradual.

We had a consult with a dentist about getting an appliance for the roof of her mouth, with spikes to stop her sucking. I really didn't want to go that route as I knew she would stop eventually.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle
Our dd also thumb sucked until around that age. We let the dentist discuss the problems that went along with prolonged thumb sucking and he helped convince her to stop. I think we were at a loss what to do also, so getting the professional involved helped us.

Good luck!
We had his yearly check up recently and our ped talked to him about it. He recommended getting a new lovey and trading in the blankie for a snuggle buddy. I kinda think that will just be a blankie replacement. They do have dental apps coming up so ill give that a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acwakip
I am probably not the one to ask. DD had a very strong suck reflex and need, even in the womb. She took a paci until she was 3 and took up thumb sucking around 4.5-5 years old. She didn't stop until she was around 9 or 10. It was constant when she was younger and only for comfort as she got older.

We knew she would need braces regardless, so we didn't push it too hard. We talked to her about it and encouraged her to stop, nothing worked because she didn't want to stop. She stopped on her own a year or two ago, it was gradual.

We had a consult with a dentist about getting an appliance for the roof of her mouth, with spikes to stop her sucking. I really didn't want to go that route as I knew she would stop eventually.
I really want to skip the appliances. Ds1 had an appliance at 6 for an overly small palet and it was awful. I know he knows its causing his teeth to hurt, but he is so attached.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish DS would listen to the Dentist. He's mentioned it a few times. But DS says it's hard to stop

My mil said it was hard for her to stop too when she was little.

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I get it. How do you change something you've done since before you were born??

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My DD is 4.5 and sucks her thumb. I'm trying to remind her to just do it when she's tired or sad. I sucked my thumb until I was 6 and gave it up on my own. I'm hoping she'll do the same at some point.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

my DD is 5.5 and still sucks her thumb too. The dentist has recommended an appliance to stop it since she already has some structural issues, but I'm a bit hesitant. She only sucks her thumb when she has her blanket in her bed.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We stopped DD almost a month ago. She is 4y3m. She was originally a paci babe but we took that away and told her to suck her thumb. But her thumb is doing worse damage to her mouth than the paci. I basically discussed it with her and we made a deal. If she could not suck her thumb all of March we would go to the zoo in April. That made her excited. The first night was the worst. She cried some but fell asleep faster than normal (we cosleep). I took a pair of cotton gloves that were DDs and cut the fingers off but left the thumb on. This prevented her from trying to suck it in her sleep but she still had the use of her fingers. It only took about 3 nights as DD was cool without her thumb. She occasionally wore the gloves during the day if she got the urge to use her thumb. She is so proud of herself now.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle

Good luck!
This is my dd to a tee. She will be 7 next month. Her dentist isn't too concerned. Apparently she's doesn't push when she sucks it because she's not damaging her teeth at this point. He says she will stop when she's ready.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote