Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby at work??

Is anyone able to take their baby to work with them? I'd love to hear the pros and cons.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pros...you get to be with baby all the time

Cons....you get to be with baby all the time!

Seriously...it's hard but worth it. I worked a part time office job and took my dd with me from the time she was born until she was three. It's hard to get your work done and devote your attention to them at the same time. But I also feel very lucky that I had the opportunity. It allowed me to be with her and still earn some money.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had dd2 with me at work/school for the first 9 months.
Pros... I could nurse her, it saved $$ on childcare, I got more time with her.
Cons... Hard to concentrate sometimes. Naps are nice but you never know how long they will last. Attention is always divided.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby at work??

I'm considering having one more baby. My job is the main reason I'm thinking about it!! lol I would love to have the baby with me all day at work, but I really don't think they would go for it. I know other peer counselors do and some even work from home. But my office is so paranoid about employees taking advantage that they don't support these things. I think it would be great for the job. Having a mom in the office nursing opening would be a great way to show mom's how normal it is to breastfeed and how you can do it and still work. For my particular job it would be easy to combine working and mothering.

My plan (after I get DH onboard) is to go and talk to the boss about my options.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've taken my girls to work with me since DD1 was 9 months old (she is 5.5 years now), and DD2 was 4 months old (she is almost 3 now). I teach in a very small school. The pros are that I don't have to worry about anyone watching them. The cons are that at certain ages they get into everything, and sometimes they are loud at inappropriate times. There is no day care or anyone I would trust to watch my girls in our tiny town, so the administration told me I could bring DD1 to work with me (I didn't ask, they just offered).
Old 03-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I think you working at WIC would make total sense to bring the baby with you! I would hope that they would allow that. i find that it seems many WIC places do not support BF as much as they say :X

I do not bring my baby to work, but dh brings her (and toddler) every day at lunch. When there is something special going on, they stay for that too (such as our easter party). I feel very lucky to have them there as much as I do, but I'd feel even better if I could have them with me all day!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy
I think you working at WIC would make total sense to bring the baby with you! I would hope that they would allow that. i find that it seems many WIC places do not support BF as much as they say :X

I do not bring my baby to work, but dh brings her (and toddler) every day at lunch. When there is something special going on, they stay for that too (such as our easter party). I feel very lucky to have them there as much as I do, but I'd feel even better if I could have them with me all day!
I have a friend who works for WIC in WI and she was able to bring her babies from 3-6 months. She is a dietician and bf educator though, so that prob helped. She did say it was very hard to get much done with baby there.

I work from home, so my kiddos are always with me while I work. I typically only work while they're napping or sleeping or the night though. When DS was small he'd hang out in the bouncer or swing while I worked, but now that he's 11 months that no longer works.

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 03-30-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post
I have a friend who works for WIC in WI and she was able to bring her babies from 3-6 months. She is a dietician and bf educator though, so that prob helped. She did say it was very hard to get much done with baby there.

I work from home, so my kiddos are always with me while I work. I typically only work while they're napping or sleeping or the night though. When DS was small he'd hang out in the bouncer or swing while I worked, but now that he's 11 months that no longer works.
That's the thing. I'm the bf peer counselor. All I do all day is talk to people about breastfeeding. lol To me it makes total sense to have the baby there with me. But I guess the idea has been shot down in the past. I'm hoping since I've already been there two years it would go over better, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I am totally willing to do calls from home (without charging them) to make up for the difference of the distraction of having the baby at work.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post

I think the problem is the administration has no clue what breastfeeding entails. We have a semi private nursing area conveniently located near my desk. Of course women are able to nurse anywhere in the office, but if they are more comfortable with a bit of privacy it is available. Management goes back and forth between thinking that everyone should nurse there and nobody should nurse there as they can nurse anywhere. Sure, they can nurse anywhere, but not everyone wants to nurse just anywhere!! I get so frustrated.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I have worked in an office setting with my oldest daughter when she was an infant and it did not work out well. I ended up quitting. I am surprised that any place would really allow it (except maybe daycares or places where a baby would be anyway) because it is impossible IMO for your quality of work to not suffer when you are multi tasking to take care of a baby. now if they let you put in some hours at home to make up for it, then yes, that seems fairer (for the company).
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote