Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Seriously I'm Just Pregnant

Just want some more opinions on this:
I am having so much trouble with work. I'm a chemist and my doctor said no volatile chemicals outside of an effective negative pressure hood. Well my lab has a tiny hood and there is no way to fit all of the equipment that volatilizes chemicals inside the hood. I have been on hold waiting for some kind of decision from "Corporate" for over a week. At first they wanted me to use my vacation and I was like Hell No, if you can't find somewhere safe to work you can't just make me use all my vacation or get no pay. So instead of figuring it out (I could totally work in the office on lab protocols and ordering, and org charts it's a new business venture there is a lot to be set up.) they put me on excused paid leave, so I'm at home but getting paid as though I'm there. This is frustrating because I'm always waiting for the call to come back in, it's not like I can relax. Anyway, today, I get an email with form they want me to sign. It gives them complete access to my medical records, once again, I said Hell No! I have already had my doctor fill out there other form stating what he expects for a safe working environment. I don't see why they need my complete medical history. It's not like I'm a high risk out of the norm pregnancy, I'm just pregnant, what the heck!!! So annoyed! I have told them if there is anything they need from my doctor I will gladly get it from him but, I have no intention of signing away my HIPPA rights. UGH so frustrated right now!!!

After having some time to think about it. I am going to tell them I will not being signing away my HIPPA rights, if they have specific questions for my doctor they can send them to me and I will have him write up the answers on his letterhead and fax them to them. If this doesn't go over, I will be willing to set up a phone conference with me and my doctor in his office and the corporate medical director of the company. My thinking is there is no reason for the medical director to talk to my doctor outside of my presence.

Advertisement

Last edited by amholb0; 03-29-2013 at 06:38 AM.
amholb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Seriously I'm Just Pregnant

Wow, that sounds crazy. Have they never had a pregnant employee before? Of course you have to be careful around certain chemicals, duh. Do they think you're faking? Mail them a peeded on pregnancy test lol.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow. that is just crazy. I hope you can get everything worked out. There is now way I would give any (other than my husband) rights to my medical history.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Completely crazy. If there is work you could be doing I would submit a written proposal to them. I mean, why wouldn't they want you working? Do you have short term disability benefits?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, it sounds like they are trying to get you to quit because they don't want to make the effort to come up with reasonable accomodations.

Have you suggested the other work to them?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have already had my doctor fill out the form that says I'm pregnant and the type of working environment that is required for that. I have given them many suggestions of how i can work for the lab outside of the lab. I'm on a new project for this company so, there is a lot paper work that needs to created. We need test methods, calibrations methods, work flow charts. All of these things are required by this company and no one has been assigned to do them yet. I have been working in this lab, I have worked in similar labs. These are things I could do at a desk away from the hazardous chemicals. I had even started working on these things before finding out i was pregnant because, they are good for consistent work between all the people working in the lab, if we have a protocol to work from we are all doing the same thing. I even crated a work flow chart for the operators so they know when in their process they should be bringing samples to the lab for testing. I am the type of person that keeps a very organized lab (sadly this does not carry over to my house.)

Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

I teach high school Chemistry so I understand your pain. However, I just did super lame labs with them all semester while pregnant and avoided the really fun stuff. *Hugs*
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ha ha I'm sure you were much better than my high school chemistry teacher. He had put off getting his master's until the last minute so, he studied during our classes and let us
'play' in the lab. I learned how to play many new card games that year.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Is that situation safe for anyone, pregnant or not? I mean if it's not safe for a fetus, it's usually not safe for any human. kwim?
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No it's not really safe, they say that they have OSHA approval but, I don't see how. On the fill floor (where they fill up the deck sealer and other varnishes) they use acetone in a mop bucket to keep the floor clean, no lid just open to air evaporating. They mop around people doing their job and nobody is wearing a respirator. It was between taking this job and going back to school, this job paid so well I couldn't turn it down but, i really wish I had just gone back to school. I have just contacted a lawyer suggested by a friend's lawyer. I would have used the friend's lawyer but, he is family law and this is apparently personal injury. Anyway, they told me yesterday since I would sign away my rights to them, they are not moving forward with their process and I have been moved to unpaid leave. So essentially they are firing me without actually firing me. I'm so beside myself, I really didn't want to have to go to court but, I will not be bullied into signing away my medical history. The thing is, there isn't anything in my medical history but, I just will not give it over to a company.