Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Seriously I'm Just Pregnant

good for you to get a lawyer, stand up for your rights. I doubt what they are asking for or the policies in the labs are legal. I may be inclined to contact OSHA and let them know what they are doing(in the lab) and see if they will get it inspected.

Maybe they know their lab policies are wrong & that's why they want your medical files, to see if you have a history of going into the dr for illnesses related to improper ventiliation and possibly injuring the baby. avoiding lawsuit before you can file one. They are hoping you'll just hand them over no questions asked, many women would.

Advertisement

Last edited by CarrieMF; 04-02-2013 at 09:11 AM.
CarrieMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Get a hold of the department of labor, you might not even need a lawyer. Maybe even the ACLU. I think it's very obvious that they are discriminating against you because you are pregnant and that's not legal.

My SIL was discriminated against by Fed Ex when she was pregnant with my niece, about 8 years ago now. She and my brother went to the DOL, the entire process took about 6 months or so, they never hired a lawyer and in the end, Fed Ex had to offer her her job back, and pay back pay from the time they fired her to the time the investigation was finished, plus a small punitive settlement.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
vonnief
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Get a hold of the department of labor, you might not even need a lawyer. Maybe even the ACLU. I think it's very obvious that they are discriminating against you because you are pregnant and that's not legal.
THIS. I also work in a laboratory setting, and my company has NEVER requested my complete medical record (or any documentation for that matter, but I've had other places that required a letter), and have just put me on different office work. This is blatant discrimination. They obviously don't want any attention brought to their poor manufacturing practices and crappy hoods/equipment. Really, any employee should be working in a proper hood when working with volatile chemicals.

It might take some time, and you'll probably be stuck with unpaid leave during the process, but don't let them get away with this! I'm glad you stuck up for your rights!!
vonnief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnief View Post
THIS. I also work in a laboratory setting, and my company has NEVER requested my complete medical record (or any documentation for that matter, but I've had other places that required a letter), and have just put me on different office work. This is blatant discrimination. They obviously don't want any attention brought to their poor manufacturing practices and crappy hoods/equipment. Really, any employee should be working in a proper hood when working with volatile chemicals.

It might take some time, and you'll probably be stuck with unpaid leave during the process, but don't let them get away with this! I'm glad you stuck up for your rights!!
I think it depends though, what her job is requesting may not be out of line. I had a STATE job and had to have a physical and a letter of all medical records. It was a job at a State Mental Hospital - some of the residents try to kill you - no joke. You need to be healty and able to hold them off without hurting them. There are certain women residents who try to KILL your baby if they know you are pregnant. Once you show you are not allowed around them...

If her working conditions are not up to code then yes that needs to be addressed but a physical and medical record could be nessisary when dealing with chemicals that could do harm. Would you want someone that is hearing voices playing with things that can blow up a whole block?! Probably not...
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Then thry should be requiring that as a condition of ALL employees not just the pg one who gas already given them a letter from her dr stating she is pg
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I was assuming that they did when they hired her and she now has to update it - when I had heart surgery I needed to redo all paperwork (medical wise) to go back to work because of workers comp. requirements. If that is not the case then it would be totally differant - the OP never stated what she had to do when she was hired...
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Even still, giving them a copy of your medical records is completely different than giving them access to your medical records.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

I think it is great that you are standing up for your rights, too many of us don't fight for our rights.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

State employees here have to sign over all medical records - Maybe I should sue the state?...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
State employees here have to sign over all medical records - Maybe I should sue the state?...
All state employees? Or just certain jobs? They don't do that here, at least not for the 2 different state jobs DH has had. I took it as a new request since she's been pregnant, not an update of something done as a condition of employment. And if the state is doing something ( generally not specifically) that violates rights then they should be sued.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote