Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: damaged package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
There is no price but this is the shipping label.

Attachment 138751

Attachment 138752
You can usually estimate shipping by going to the site (can't tell who this was shipped through) and plugging in zip codes to and from and the weight of the package. The vendor likely paid less because I believe they usually get a volume discount but at least that will give you an idea.

Advertisement

Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amazon sets the shipping prices and does not do combined shipping on used books. Try half.com next time - they do combined shipping when you buy 2+ books from the same seller.
However, with the damaged book, I would expect a total refund for that book or for them to send a replacement at no charge if they have another one in stock.
I really don't like when people ship books in polymailers.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Amazon sets the shipping prices and does not do combined shipping on used books. Try half.com next time - they do combined shipping when you buy 2+ books from the same seller.
However, with the damaged book, I would expect a total refund for that book or for them to send a replacement at no charge if they have another one in stock.
I really don't like when people ship books in polymailers.
Yes, Amazon sets the shipping costs; it's a flat fee for any book from a third part seller. It's annoying to pay the shipping for each book then have them do combined shipping, but that's just the way the Amazon system works. They set the fee to streamline and standardize the experience of buying items through third party sellers. It's also the reason why sellers are often able to offer books so inexpensively. Many books are sold on Amazon for one cent or a dollar. If sellers were not able to keep the overages from the flat shipping fees, it wouldn't make sense for them to offer these prices, especially since they have to pay significant fees to Amazon for each item they sell. It goes the other way, too: if a book is heavy to ship, a seller can end up spending more to ship than the flat $3.99 fee.

I agree that the seller should refund you for the damaged book and that book's shipping, but they aren't going to refund the extra shipping Amazon charges. I agree that shipping books in polymailers is lazy. There are, however, several third party book sellers, such as Better World Books, who seem to ship everything in polymailers. I guess that's one way they are able to offer one cent books. I suppose they'd rather deal with refunding the occasional damaged book than use more time to pack every book better.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post

Yes, Amazon sets the shipping costs; it's a flat fee for any book from a third part seller. It's annoying to pay the shipping for each book then have them do combined shipping, but that's just the way the Amazon system works. They set the fee to streamline and standardize the experience of buying items through third party sellers. It's also the reason why sellers are often able to offer books so inexpensively. Many books are sold on Amazon for one cent or a dollar. If sellers were not able to keep the overages from the flat shipping fees, it wouldn't make sense for them to offer these prices, especially since they have to pay significant fees to Amazon for each item they sell. It goes the other way, too: if a book is heavy to ship, a seller can end up spending more to ship than the flat $3.99 fee.

I agree that the seller should refund you for the damaged book and that book's shipping, but they aren't going to refund the extra shipping Amazon charges. I agree that shipping books in polymailers is lazy. There are, however, several third party book sellers, such as Better World Books, who seem to ship everything in polymailers. I guess that's one way they are able to offer one cent books. I suppose they'd rather deal with refunding the occasional damaged book than use more time to pack every book better.
Thank you. I didnt expect a refund for the other shipping but I know from now on ill order any used books from different sellers if I'm buying used. That way I know they will be shipped separately and will be more likely to come to me undamaged.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Thank you. I didnt expect a refund for the other shipping but I know from now on ill order any used books from different sellers if I'm buying used. That way I know they will be shipped separately and will be more likely to come to me undamaged.
You can also message third party sellers on Amazon before purchasing to see if they will pack separately and in a box. That doesn't get around the flat shipping cost per item, but at least the books are more likely to arrive in good shape. Sometimes Amazon is the best deal, even without combined shipping.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama edit your pictures of the label,your whole address is showing.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Hum I'm mobile I'm not sure how to remove them. I'm not really that worried about it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Amazon used books also each have a description of the condition of the book; i.e. "like new" "good" "acceptable". If the book was described accurately, be more picky next time.
If it wasn't, usually the dealers will refund without an issue, or you may be able to return it w no shipping charges d/t not as described.

If the dealer gives you a hard time, then talk to Amazon. They have great customer service.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Hum I'm mobile I'm not sure how to remove them. I'm not really that worried about it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
Amazon used books also each have a description of the condition of the book; i.e. "like new" "good" "acceptable". If the book was described accurately, be more picky next time.
If it wasn't, usually the dealers will refund without an issue, or you may be able to return it w no shipping charges d/t not as described.

If the dealer gives you a hard time, then talk to Amazon. They have great customer service.
Yeah the description was used very good... this isnt even what I would consider fair. There is also something else I noticed last night there is a label inside the book on one of the pages that makes it impossible to read the page.

Attachment 138837

Last edited by Scarlett's mommy; 03-25-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Scarlett's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote