Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Newton
Registered Users

Re: Gluten/Diary Free Recipe Thread...Should We Start One?

Skinnytaste.com also has some great recipes, a good gluten free section and a lot of recipes include gluten free modifications.

This blog is also great and all gluten free http://crockpot365.blogspot.ca/

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really like the 365 crockpot blog!....I have been following hers for awhile. The skinnytaste one looks great too!...thanks for sharing. I made a bookmark for it My recent issue is I need to figure out where I can find some of these GF flours in bulk...we are going through the tiny Bob's Red Mill bags after making just a couple things it seems!...but I make snack/bars/cookies often for my hungry crew! I am going to check into Azure Standard for next month's order...but are there any other places where you can find these flours in bigger quantities for a better price?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any new inspirations or recipes that you have tried Ladies? I still feel like I am really lacking for lunch ideas...what else do you make for quick lunches?...my go-to right now is GF bread (from glutengoddess) with peanut or almond butter on it...and a salad...but my salads are so boring too... ideas?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can order 25-50 lb sacks of individual flours from both bob's red mill and honeyville grain.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
You can order 25-50 lb sacks of individual flours from both bob's red mill and honeyville grain.
Cool, thanks! I will check it out for prices We also get some things from Azure, but they don't always have everything I need.

Also, does anyone know of a good homemade gluten/diary free tortilla recipe? I am getting a tortilla press for mother's day and am hoping I can find a couple good recipes to make these!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Hey Leah nice to come across you again on here! How's your baby boy doing? Can't believe our little ones turned 3 months old yesterday, time is just flying by already.

I will start by saying I needed to go gluten and dairy free with DS until he outgrew it at 5ish months. So in anticipation of perhaps having another gluten sensitive newborn and not wanting to put a baby through having to wait till it cleared our systems I started a gluten free diet around 35 weeks. Sure enough I have accidentally exposed baby girl to gluten and she is indeed sensitive and had a pretty strong reaction so gluten free we have stayed. She seems to do okay with dairy products but not a big glass of milk. I have found some great gluten free items and some not so great items so I will share with you what are some of the things that work for me and our family.

Trader Joes is a great place to go for cheaper gluten free items and ideas. I love their organic polenta with organic spaghetti sauce. It's super fast as you can just slice it putting it in a baking dish and cover it with the sauce, bake until hot. You can also throw some meat or pepperoni under the sauce if you want. They have a great 3 cheese frozen gluten free pizza that is awesome. They also have mushroom or onion flavored rice noodle bowls that are great and super quick. Their gluten free frozen waffles are pretty tasty too.

We also do veggies in foil on the grill. We cut up zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, and cauliflower with a jalapeno or two sliced length wise with seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, gluten free soy sauce, and butter (you can use a dairy free substitute or omit this) and grill till desired softness.

I have a German recipe that is a family recipe that happens to be gluten and dairy free plus super delicious:

Whole onion cut in 2 then sliced thinly, fry it in oil of your choice till browned and softened.

Take the skin off bone in chicken thighs and put them in with the onion and brown the outside.

ADD IN:
2-3 sliced carrots
12 peppercorns
salt to taste
paprika 3-4 TBS

Half to 3/4 (I prefer more the 3/4 side of this) cover the chicken and ingredients with water.

Cook covered for at least a couple hours at simmer. We eat it over rice and it is awesome.

Pinto beans cooked in the crock pot with pork hocks or bacon eaten with homemade red chili (can tell you my recipe for this if you are interested) are a go to for us.

Pork cut up and cooked, add in head of cabbage and cook till the cabbage it done adding in a large can of stewed or diced tomatoes toward the end. We usually eat this with a side of homemade re-fried beans.

Fish tacos are always great eaten with guacamole and salsa.

I will come back and add more as I think of them

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Jac! So nice to hear from you as well!! I love your new avi pic! How is your little girl?
So true...time just keeps moving doesn't it?!

Thanks for all your gluten free tips! I love learning more about this. I find gluten free isn't as hard as diary free in a lot of way... butter is just awesome and I can't eat it Cheese is the hardest thing to let go of...I obviously was eating too much and miss it so much! I will come back and ask you more about a couple of the recipes you listed...they sounds wonderful! I've got some hungry boys waiting for lunch...so gotta run for now...but will write back more more info!
ps..so glad you discovered that going gluten free for your little Aubryn helped her!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I make banana/egg pancakes that my whole family goes crazy over. They're literally just one mashed banana and two eggs all mixed up. Sometimes I add cinnamon and/or vanilla.
You can serve them with butter and syrup like regular pancakes, but they don't really even need it.

My kids love the Ian's brand frozen foods; nuggets, alpha tots, and French bread pizza are regulars here. Udi's cinnamon raisin bagels are great- I can't tell they're GF at all.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummandherboys View Post
Hi Jac! So nice to hear from you as well!! I love your new avi pic! How is your little girl?
So true...time just keeps moving doesn't it?!

Thanks for all your gluten free tips! I love learning more about this. I find gluten free isn't as hard as diary free in a lot of way... butter is just awesome and I can't eat it Cheese is the hardest thing to let go of...I obviously was eating too much and miss it so much! I will come back and ask you more about a couple of the recipes you listed...they sounds wonderful! I've got some hungry boys waiting for lunch...so gotta run for now...but will write back more more info!
ps..so glad you discovered that going gluten free for your little Aubryn helped her!
Aubryn is doing awesome, in fact she slept nine hours straight last night. She is such an amazingly sweet, good natured baby. We just love her dearly! And thank you about the picture, we did a family photo shoot with a photographer and the pictures she took came out amazing.

I agree that the dairy is hard although I find gluten to be much harder for me, I'm a big carb girl I guess I had to go dairy free for DD1 which wasn't too bad by itself but the no cheese or butter was the hardest. The gluten and dairy free together is super tough though I must say.

Ask away any questions that you have, I don't mind at all. How is your baby boy doing, other than the food sensitivities?

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
amberu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am currently DF/GF cause my little one seems to be allergic to it. I have found for butter that Earths Balance spread from azure rocks!! No soy in it and it tastes like butter to me. Also I have gotten from azure the Daiya cheese.Linkie below

http://www.daiyafoods.com/

best tasting fake cheese ever..I can enjoy a GF pizza with melted "cheese". I also order coconut milk in bulk from azure and also coconut yogurt as well..they have the best prices for both. I mostly just wing it but I do need to sit down and do a menu..my budget has kind of creeped up with all of the new foods.