Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

Easy SSC

Still pretty new to baby wearing here! I have a moby and homemade ring sling. Looking a ssc because my toddler is too heavy for slings. I have heard great things about boba, Beco, and ergo. I can't figure out the differences. I have a 16mos old and 3mos old and want to use it for both. Someone help me :thumbs up:

Advertisement

jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

Carriers are such a personal thing! I have never tried a becco but I love my pikkolo. Good luck!
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
kirstkat
Registered Users

We found a store that carried all three (well actually we tried on 4 since we were considering both the beco Gemini and Butterfly). We liked them all but ended up buying the Gemini as our favorite. But we plan on using it pretty soon after birth and I've read on here it might not be quite as good for older babies. Ah well, I guess my point is it really depends on you and if there's any way to try them all out, you really really should.
kirstkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have the ergo sport & the ergo performance & love both.

I keep one in the car and one in the house.

I suggest renting -like a trial and error. You can try like 3 from a company for a month & see which one your like best & send the other two back. Not sure where you can do this but google it. Be sure though to factor in shipping.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
We have the ergo sport & the ergo performance & love both.

I keep one in the car and one in the house.

I suggest renting -like a trial and error. You can try like 3 from a company for a month & see which one your like best & send the other two back. Not sure where you can do this but google it. Be sure though to factor in shipping.
Forgot to say that my baby age 3-4 months fit in the ergos great and my 5 yr old niece & 3 yr old nieces fit in them too.
The performance has a little bit hight if a pouch piece. Meaning it hits higher on the child's back than the sport.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
squirrly
Registered Users

Re: Easy SSC

I find that the Boba accomodates a taller child better than Ergo. Beco tends to be narrower, so after about 1 year old, it's very difficult for children to get knee to knee support in a Boba (especially the Gemini).

If you have a local babywearing group, you should try to attend their meetings. They might have a lending library (our group does, and we have all of the carriers you're interested in). A natural parenting store might, also. A local cloth diapering store in my area also carries several carriers.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

So the boba may be better to carry a toddler? My kids are both 90% for height
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
squirrly
Registered Users

Yeah, although I really like Kinderpack better than Boba for my son now. Here's the rundown:

My son has always been at or above 90th percentile for height, and is in the 50th for weight. 22 months now. I'm right at 5'8", wear mostly a size 6, very long torso and narrow shoulders.

From 6 months until about a year old, we mostly just used our Boba, for front and back carries. I got a Lillebaby at that point, and we used it a lot for about 6 months, mostly back carries. Since then I've used a variety of things from our BWI chapter lending library - Kinderpack, Olives & Applesauce, Cat Bird Baby Piccolo, a few mei tais, and lately a wrap.

The Boba fits my son well, still, because it's long enough. Probably about to outgrow it with the next spurt, though. The straps are set a bit wide for my narrow shoulders, though, and the fit for a back carry for me isn't ideal.

The Lillebaby is a better fit for my shoulders, but the way the webbing snaps to the padded straps is a tad awkward for a heavy toddler. It's on loan to friends at the moment.

The O&A fits nicely, and I like the shoulder straps, but the built in infant insert makes it tough for me to get a good seat in a back carry, because it's bunchy. It can be done, but it's just not as fast and easy as I'd like.

The Kinderpack is, hands down, my favorite SSC of all time. Super comfy, easy to get on and off with a good seat, spreads weight well, doesn't push the waistband of my pants much at all. We're using a Toddler/Standard. I think if I buy one I'll go the Preschool size, just for longevity, but we could use this size for quite a while, I suspect.

If you can try both the Boba and the Kinderpack, you should. There's a decent price difference between them, too. But, if you wear much, I think the extra is worth it.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

Thank you so much! That was really helpful
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have not use either of the 3 but I agree on trying carrier first before you actually buy one. What is the weight of your baby? I'm using a lightweight SSC the Action Baby Carrier it has a weight limit of 15-45lbs.. it is wider and support extends to the knees. You can surely wear it with your 3 and 16 mos old babies plus for being lightweight it is cooler and more comfy compared to bulky carrier. Goodluck!
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote