Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Braxton Hicks and length of labour

I had no BH with my daughter and I had a long labour where I wasn't progressing and needed pitocin. This pregnancy I've been having BH since 20 some weeks and I now have several (maybe 10) a day. I'm hoping that my labour will go better this time. What has your experience been?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Braxton Hicks and length of labour

Unfortunately, don't have good news for you. I had very intense bh for 2 weeks before I delivered. I did go a week early which was nice, but I was in labor for 36 hours and ended in a c/s.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't have any BH and had very short easy labors with all 3
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

No BH here and I had one long and difficult, and one short and easy
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had a lot of BH with every pregnacy (except with Elli) and long labors with all (except DS2 who was a c-sec). Definitely no correlation for me.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Braxton Hicks actually happen throughout every pregnancy, but you're just not likely to be aware of them with your first, and may or may not be aware of them with subsequent pregnancies.
Pre-labor, closer to your due date is more intense, sometimes painful, and can indicate a shorter labor, since your body seems to do some of the "prep-work" before active labor begins.
Lack of progress in labor can be due to MANY different things, from the position of the baby, to mental/emotional factors. If you are tense, anxious, uncomfortable with a caregiver or feeling insecure it will make your labor more difficult. It is more likely that one of those things was an issue last time. Have a look at the Spinning Babies website to see about getting your baby into a good position, and perhaps consider a doula, or a having good friend who has delivered vaginally support you during the birth this time around. Reading some natural childbirth literature can also be really helpful in reminding you that your body CAN deliver this child!
All the best for a great birth this time around!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Had lots and lots of BH contractions with both pregnancies. Had them constntly with my second...and they started very early on (maybe 5mos?). I had a very relaxed doctor who reassured me it was fine. Both labors were extremely fast. In the hospital 2hrs with my first when he arrived...and in the hospital a lil over an hr with my second. Fast transition times and pushing with both too. So perhaps for me there was a coorelation. Idk. No labor meds or epi for either but again, both were speedy.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

i agree with Cricket!

my last birth was my longest (18 hrs) and i had a ton of both BH and prodromal labor for days prior to actual labor. it was baby's position that was the issue, but i did end up getting him out at home without a c/s, extraction or meds. (instead of pitocin to bring on stronger contrax, we did castor oil packs and caulophyllum)

i am 32 wks along and reading Birthing From Within right now. check to see if your library has it, it is really awesome even if you arent one to do a 100% natural birth, she has exercises which help you to prepare mentally and spiritually for the birth, as well as to work through whatever hangups you may have gotten during a past trying birth experience. im laughing, crying, writing, and drawing. its good stuff.

GL!

Last edited by nettepoet; 04-06-2013 at 12:52 PM.
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

DP