Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

My exclusively breastfeeding baby refuses bottle recently. He is 4 months old now. We started him on occasional bottle fed Since he was 4 weeks old. He takes about 1 to 2 oz at a time every time but I just returned to work this week and I found out I pump 16 oz+ while he only ate 4 oz at home with daddy. He is fussy while I am away. He wont sleep coz he is hungry. He wakes up often at night while i am away. ( i work night shifts. He sleeps 8-11 hours straight at night while I am at home) What can we do? We are trying to feed him with a cup and syringe..... He is taking 2-3 oz with that... Any other suggestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by kittenbaby77; 04-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help!! My 4 month old refuses bottle?!

Yuck! This just happened for us yesterday too. I got him a transition sippy cup (tommy tippee) to start playing with it in hopes that if he won't take a bottle its another method for him to get milk. Its designed for 4 months plus and I think he'll get the hang of it in a week or two. Good luck and I'll watch this thread for ideas too.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Ouch!! Let me know how the sippy cup method working for u too! My lo has been taking vitamin via a little syringe so my hubby is using that to feed him milk while I am gone. Hope things will get better for both of our lo!!! Keep me updated k

I went and got a sippy cup to try too! We'll see!!

Last edited by kittenbaby77; 04-04-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Update: sippy cup is the answer. My lo refused to take a bottle. He is now 4 months... Guess he wants to be a big boy already.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Yay!!! Glad you found something that works. My 12 month old is still fighting for booby only...LOL!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
Yay!!! Glad you found something that works. My 12 month old is still fighting for booby only...LOL!
Ooooh!! So your lo would wait for you to get back from work to eat? We had that problem earlier. Lol my lo stopped eating while i was working/ away from home. It sucked!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

What kind of sippy cup are you using and how do you do it? My 3 month old is not eating while I'm at work and I can't imagine him using a sippy...but I'll try anything!
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismark0
What kind of sippy cup are you using and how do you do it? My 3 month old is not eating while I'm at work and I can't imagine him using a sippy...but I'll try anything!
I am using a nestle juicy juice sippy cup. ( Didnt expect baby to use a sippy cup at all so i wasnt prepared and thats what i have in storage) It has a hard plastic mouth piece. 2 holes ( pretty big holes compare to the nipples for bottles). One air valve for air to come out and a prevent leak function...

My lo takes milk from a regular cup ( learned this on you tube) also a spoon and dropper. But it just takes him too long to eat from those and spill everywhere.

I sat my lo up straight or i rock him in a sling to give him the sippy cup myself first. After breastfeeding him, I offered him sippy cup to eat and stopped if he didn't seem interested. Also I let daddy give him sippy cup here and there to slowly see how he likes it. To my surprise, he was looking forward to the sippy cup and would open mouth to where sippy cup was. We tried this once a day.... Eventually substitute a feeding. When he turns his head away from sippy cup, i would stop and try another day. We paused as often as he needed in the beginning coz the flow is fast. We slightly tilt the sippy cup so the milk comes out slowly. Burp often.

Lo also liked it better if he was looking at a pic of me while drinking from the sippy cup if my hubby was the one feeding him.

I had to let my hubby bring baby to work in the beginning so I could feed him coz he just wouldn't eat to the point of no pee, no poop more than 12 hours and I was worried GL!! Hope it helps.

Last edited by kittenbaby77; 04-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
agl
Registered Users

We used "adiri" bottles. Supposed to be close to feeding from a breast. That is the only bottle my lo would take when I was away. I swear by them.
agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by agl
We used "adiri" bottles. Supposed to be close to feeding from a breast. That is the only bottle my lo would take when I was away. I swear by them.
I will give it a try if my baby starts to refuse sippy cup! Thx mama for ideas!!