Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
One thing I'm planning is I bought six different kinds of sauces at the store today. And plan on cutting some Chicken up in cubes and freezing it with a sauce. I'll see how far that gets me and go from there.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
mel j
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,727
My Mood:
Re: 40 lbs of chicken breast... WWYD?

Wow.

Probably just freeze most of it and make "fresh" meals; we tend to perfer them to stuff out of the freezer even though those can be useful too. But there are a few recipes our family really likes... one for chicken meatballs and one for a chicken/turkey "stew" that's sort of a chicken chili. Oh and coconut chicken nuggets. Yum.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j
Wow.

Probably just freeze most of it and make "fresh" meals; we tend to perfer them to stuff out of the freezer even though those can be useful too. But there are a few recipes our family really likes... one for chicken meatballs and one for a chicken/turkey "stew" that's sort of a chicken chili. Oh and coconut chicken nuggets. Yum.
Coconut chicken nuggets? That sounds divine!
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,018
Re: 40 lbs of chicken breast... WWYD?

I always freeze my chicken in marinade and then have hubby grill it for dinner. It's simple and super yummy.


40 lbs is a lot of chicken! I bet you won't want to even think about a chicken breast once you are finished with that!
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
I always freeze my chicken in marinade and then have hubby grill it for dinner. It's simple and super yummy.

40 lbs is a lot of chicken! I bet you won't want to even think about a chicken breast once you are finished with that!
Lol! Yeah I'm seriously intimidated... I'm not sure what I was thinking.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,018
Re: 40 lbs of chicken breast... WWYD?

In case you are looking for a good marinade here's one of our faves.

Garlic herb marinade
1/2 cup Canola, vegetable or evoo
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh basil, thyme, parsley or cilantro (pick one)
6-8 garlic cloves
1/4 of an onion
1 tap. Salt
Juice of half a lemon
Pepper

Whir it together in a food processor and it makes enough for 2-3 lbs chicken. I always slice my chicken in half so I have thin breasts and this marinade makes super flavorful chicken. I also have a tandoori marinade that I serve with basmati rice and a cucumber yogurt sauce that everyone really likes if you're interested.
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13

Last edited by evasimone; 04-06-2013 at 10:05 PM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
sparksmomma's Avatar
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In Georgia, but my heart is in Alaska <3
Posts: 74
Such great ideas! I wish I had seen this thread before I packaged my 40 lbs of chicken I got this week
sparksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
In case you are looking for a good marinade here's one of our faves.

Garlic herb marinade
1/2 cup Canola, vegetable or evoo
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh basil, thyme, parsley or cilantro (pick one)
6-8 garlic cloves
1/4 of an onion
1 tap. Salt
Juice of half a lemon
Pepper

Whir it together in a food processor and it makes enough for 2-3 lbs chicken. I always slice my chicken in half so I have thin breasts and this marinade makes super flavorful chicken. I also have a tandoori marinade that I serve with basmati rice and a cucumber yogurt sauce that everyone really likes if you're interested.
Yes, please!! :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,324
My Mood:
Re: 40 lbs of chicken breast... WWYD?

I would cook about 10 lbs for quick meals and then freeze. Freeze 10 raw in dinner size portions. Then I would make several ginormous meals to freeze in dinner size portions - especially soups.

Make several pots of soup and freeze in dinner size portions using about 10lbs for soups = 2 lbs per pot: white chili chicken, chicken noodle, chicken tortilla soup, chicken-corn chowder, miso chicken and brown rice.

Then I would then makes several casserole types and use up the last 10lbs: Chicken lasagna (just like reg. but with chicken instead of burger), enchiladas, chicken cordon bleu casserole, green chili chicken and chicken Alfredo noodle and freeze them for easy dinner nights.

I would spread out the cooking over a few days so it wasn't so much work. I find making several meals at a time less work in clean up and effort, than making individual meals in the long run. I also like the convenience on busy nights of having the option of a home cooked meal without the effort.
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,018
Re: 40 lbs of chicken breast... WWYD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Yes, please!! :-)


Tandoori

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsn minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsn ground coriander
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine together and pour over the chicken.

Just an FYI this marinade smells really strong and its a bit scary but if you like Indian or Arabic food you'll like this flavor.

Cucumber yogurt sauce (i don't normally measure so this is a guesstimate)

1.5 cups plain yogurt
1 Tbsn fresh lemon juice
1 medium cucumber de seeded and finely diced
1 minced clove of garlic
1-3 Tbsn water
Salt

Mix it all together and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. You want it to be thin but not super thin or pourable.

BTW where the heck are all of you people getting this chicken?
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.