Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First time cooking fish - Help!! Please!

So, I've managed to never cook fish before today! I've been a veggie for the past 20 years, but this past year, decided to start eating fish. The only fish that I really like is salmon. Go figure! Anyway, we have some frozen salmon fillets. I took three out, put them in a 9X13 dish, and they are thawing in the fridge. No idea why, but they still have the skin/scales (not sure what to call it) on. I am going to marinate them in a few hours. I hope they are completely thawed! Do I start marinating even if not completely thawed? And, do I try to cut the skin off before I marinate? Recipe says to turn over a few times, so I don't know what the point would be of turning skin side down?

Lastly, I want to send left-overs to school tomorrow. Will the fish be ok if I put in glass container and have an icepack in the lunch bag?

Thank you in advance!!!

Advertisement

GreyMum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Re: First time cooking fish - Help!! Please!

I usually cook salmon skin side down in a glass 9X13 pan. I rub olive oil over each filet, squeeze a lime or two over it, and salt and pepper to taste. I bake at 350*F for about 20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork. It is really easy to over cook, and really yucky when it is overdone, so I tend to start checking it around 15 minutes. I find that the fish slips off the skin pretty easily when cooked, so I don't try to remove it until right before serving. I never turn the filets over, just place them in skin side down, and leave them that way until serving.

I'm sorry I don't have amounts or a more precise recipe. I really sort of gauge it by how many filets I am cooking, and how it looks in the pan.

As far as leftovers, you should be fine placing any leftovers in a glass dish with an ice pack in the bag. If it's going to be warm, two ice packs is probably a better choice.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your reply! :-)

I actually did make it yesterday (before I saw your response.) I found a recipe that was essentially baked in foil in the oven. I think I prefer grilled. I did cook with the skin on and asked my DH to take it all off after it cooked. DH was happy with it. I thought it was ok. Best of all, my 2 year old LOVED it. She ate it like it was candy, haha! It was covered in garlic and green onions too (that was the marinade.) She is such a great baby! I'm glad that I'm eating fish now, for her sake too.
GreyMum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad it turned out well for you. My children LOVE salmon! We like it grilled, too. Baked or grilled, that is about it for us. I guess we are not the most exciting people in the world.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote