Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Help weaning older toddler

My son is 27 months. I have an infant who is 5 months. Both nurse.

I tried weaning when I found out I was pregnant and he refused I nursed through pregnancy and now tandum 5 months.

I am so done. I hate it so much I do not even enjoy nursing my baby.

My toddler is disrespectful. He wont stop manhandling my other nipple. Refuses to sleep or nap without nursing. Claimbs all over me and wakes up the baby anytime I nurse him. Hits me and screams when I refuse to nurse him. And half the time he wont even eat real food he does food strikes to nurse.

I do not know what to do anymore. There is no routine, no gentle weaning. Anytime I try to work with him he reacts out of control. I have no control in my day to day life with the 2 children. It makes me despise nursing when I should be enjoying nursing my infant.

I do not know what to do nothing works.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
That sounds rough

Do you have the ability to take a little weekend away with only the infant? Maybe dad could handle the toddler for the weekend and offer some replacements while your gone?

Maybe it's time some tough love boundaries 'No more nursies for big brother, nursies is only for baby now. But YOU can have _____, that's ONLY FOR BIG boys, not for little babies.' Then mean it. I know it sounds rough but you are right, you should be enjoying your infant nursing and if toddler is making it miserable, it's time to let that go. Extended nursing is a two way street and both must be happy to continue IMO.

Sorry mama

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Help weaning older toddler

Doesn't sound fun at all. I have a 26 month old and he I swear has been nursing like a newborn. I don't have a baby so totally not like your situation but I get irritated at times when I want to get things done or just sit and read him a book but he has to be nursing. Good Luck I hope you can find a good transition to weaning.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt
That sounds rough

Do you have the ability to take a little weekend away with only the infant? Maybe dad could handle the toddler for the weekend and offer some replacements while your gone?

Maybe it's time some tough love boundaries 'No more nursies for big brother, nursies is only for baby now. But YOU can have _____, that's ONLY FOR BIG boys, not for little babies.' Then mean it. I know it sounds rough but you are right, you should be enjoying your infant nursing and if toddler is making it miserable, it's time to let that go. Extended nursing is a two way street and both must be happy to continue IMO.

Sorry mama
I agree with this. He is old enough. I would also get him a doll so he can nurse his doll when you nurse your baby.

And since you said he doesn't listen I would get the DVD called The Happiest Toddler on the block. It has worked wonders for my nieces

Oh and if you don't want to cut him cold turkey on nursing. Tell him he can only nurse until a timer goes off. And every day make it 1 min less for each nursing session

Or

You could pump and put his big boy milk in a big boy cup. Then slowly do half breast milk in the cup & half cows milk. Then eventually all cows milk.

But make sure you give him lots of cuddles. Like after you nurse the baby say come have some mama cuddles so he still feels close to you without having to nurse.

Hugs mama

And if you decide to go cold turkey even if he does a food strike don't give in and nurse him again. He will eat it just might not be very much for the 1st 2 days boobie free lol

Last edited by Sarah-B; 04-11-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
arichert
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help weaning older toddler

Wow mama you are tough!
My son is 26 months and still going strong, but I don't have a second LO to nurse.
I'm hoping to hit up a local La Leche meeting (do you have those in your area?). I don't want to push him off, but we co-sleep as well and he's starting to want to nurse through the night again, and neither of us get the best sleep :/
arichert is offline   Reply With Quote