Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
crazygrma
Registered Users

Cloth on a 1 month old questions!

Griffin is 1 month today. DD is using part-time cloth - covers and prefolds - the Imagines. He's soaking thru the prefolds trifolded pretty quickly now. They're pretty wet. He doesn't like it! I suggested adding another and she said she didn't think she'd be able to get the diaper on him or that he would fit in his car seat.

I forgot to mention the fleece liner could be helpful. I'll do that. Other suggestions for doublers? Or other suggestions?

Advertisement

crazygrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth on a 1 month old questions!

she might want to use fleece liners or a stay dry insert like the diaper safari stay dry insert or osocosy stay dry prefolds.

But if he has saturated the prefolds than she needs more absorbency. I personally like hemp, like joey bunz babykicks hemp inserts. The DS inserts mention above are bamboo which is another good absorbent material.

Is he still in small (or first rise of a OS) for the covers? If not it may be time to upgrade him to the next size up prefold.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about using a stay dry insert or prefold? Diaper Safari has some stay dry inserts. We use them and love them because it keeps the wetness away from DD.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like he is outgrowing his newborn stash. You can milk the current ones a little longer by adding a doubler - try an adult size wash cloth, or cut a recieving blanket in half and fold that in the diaper. But you will need to size up in your prefolds before long. Yes cloth IS bigger and bulkier than disposables, but just size up his pants, and as for the carseat, you will just need to adjust the straps a little.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like he's outgrowing the absorbency. The cloth shouldn't be soaking wet with one pee, and, yes, that is pretty uncomfortable for them.

Since your daughter seems to want a trimer fit you could try bamboo or a flat. If she wants stay dry, maybe it's time to try a pocket or stay-dry AIO? How big is the baby? Maybe he's ready for a one-size diaper. It will be bulky, though. Like pp said, just size up in clothes.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
elvenmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I had the same problem, my son did not like to be wet. Try a pocket diaper like bumgenius 4.0. At this point one size diapers should fit. I think you'll be a lot happier with those!
elvenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

How often is she changing?
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
crazygrma
Registered Users

Okay, I spent a little time there today. He's 10 lbs. I can't believe it. He was 6 lbs 8 oz when he got discharged. Yikes! I changed him before and after he nursed - so maybe 45 minutes and he was totally soaked. After another 45 minutes, he was mostly soaked. I used a cover I had made and it fits him nicely. Then I used a Thirsties size 1. I can't remember now if I completely un snapped the rise. Is there 2 settings besides all the way unsnapped?

It seems impossible to stick another prefold in there. We've been using the Imagines smalls I think. They're about the same size as the GMD orange edge. Is that newborn?

Last time dd found stuffing pockets kind of a pain, which is why she was doing pre fold/covers this time.
crazygrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you might need to add a hemp insert (nice and thin) or maybe invest in bamboo or hemp prefolds at least when you size up.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

add a doubler

ditto the diaper safari insert recommendations in place of the prefolds, too. they are TDF. I have 12 and IDK maybe I should have ordered more :P