View Poll Results: Why do disposables stink more?
Not use to smell vs cloth (my dh's theory) 6 11.32%
The chemicals intensify the smell 26 49.06%
Cloth holds the smell in better 3 5.66%
All sposies stink even before use 13 24.53%
Other ... because there is alway an other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sposie stink with poll

I have a package of disposable diapers that DD is going to outgrow. It's been a year since she wore sposies. (while we were on vacation) So I decided to use them before she outgrew them. When she pees... OH MY GOODNESS the smell of urine is awful! DH even asked why she smelled like pee. I can faintly smell it when we use cloth (very sensitive nose) but DH can't. After she uses them, they reek!

So DH has a theory... He says it's like your house. You never notice the subtle smells of your own house. We don't notice the smell of DD's pee in cloth because we are use to it. We notice when it's a disposable because it mixes with the chemicals & perfumes in the diapers making it very noticeable because we are not use to it.

What do you think?

Advertisement

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 04-11-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sposie stink with poll

I am too impatient to wait for the poll. I think that could make since. When we had a mini daycare going on in my house... my son used cloth, my nephew often used earth's best sposies, and the nanny's granddaugher used name brand sposies. The name brand was the worst but the earth's best with no perfumes I also found extra stinky. The open hanging pail would never as stink as the trash can... ICK. I'm sure some of it is what we are used to, even the particular smell of our childs outputs vrs another childs... but ew. My husband never got used to the output smells and he let me know when things were stinky. I'm pretty sure he still preferred the cloth.

<edit> I wouldn't say ALL sposies stink before being used, but the name brand ones def do. I never liked that smell.. its the same one they use in disposable sanitary products. ick
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-11-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used both cloth and disposable and the only time I ever noticed a smell with disposable was occasionally when my youngest was a baby, and it had something to do with the sugars in his urine which ended up being a sign of a mild food allergy. I was BFing at the time and had to change my diet. Even after that, he could not eat any milk or bread products until he was nearly 7 years old. Now he tolerates them better but doesn't eat them often. I didn't get that smell with my other kiddos, though, even though I almost never used disposables with them. Maybe I am used to both smells, though LOL

Last edited by DiaperDiva; 04-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.
DiaperDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

The perfumed disposables always smell awful. But I think maybe the pee reacts with all those chemicals somehow to make them stink too. And we do probably notice it more, because we're not used to it. Kind of like how a smoker or someone with constant BO may not notice that they reek, but we sure smell them! So I guess I'd say it's a combination of things.

Last edited by jen_batten; 04-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I voted other. I actually like the smell of sposies before use. After use, I don't really think they stink more or less cloth. It's been probably 2 months since I have used a single sposie, so it's not really that I am around it more. I think both cloth and sposies carry some scent when used, but neither is bad, IMO.

Of course, I am pretty loyal to Pampers in the sposie department, so maybe other brands are different?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
77Lipen
Registered Users

Depends on the disposable. Pampers seem to smell worse than huggies and I recently used parents choice on the weekend (we were out of town and I decided to strip and hang dry all my diapers before we went). They seemed pretty good. Mind you she held her poo until we got home... So I don't know what they'd smell like pooped it. But peed in I was impressed that they didn't have a major stink
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I said the sposies stink before the urine...because they do At least to me. Even the cheapie ones. They just have an over powering chemical smell; it gives me a headache.

I do have a very sensitive nose, though.

But once a baby pees in a sposie, I think the urine and chemicals make it smell even worse. Even if I didn't use cloth and used a sposie every single day, I don't think I'd ever get used to it.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3LittleBerkhs View Post
I said the sposies stink before the urine...because they do At least to me. Even the cheapie ones. They just have an over powering chemical smell; it gives me a headache.

I do have a very sensitive nose, though.

But once a baby pees in a sposie, I think the urine and chemicals make it smell even worse. Even if I didn't use cloth and used a sposie every single day, I don't think I'd ever get used to it.
^^This!
dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't notice much of a smell (though they do have one just not a very strong one imo) until they've been peed in and then they reek

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DS Forum
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

I remember when we were prepping the nursery before baby and people started giving me bags of sposies. The smell in the room changed dramatically! I hated the smell. It permeated the whole closet and into the room even though they were stuffed in a drawer cabinet. And I still definitely find they smell stronger after they are peed in, though I don't notice the smell of the clean sposies in the nursery anymore.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote