Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
MommaRetz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Ammonia at nighttime?

I really hate to be that person, but here it goes: I use a trifolded prefold inside an origami folded flat at night. For the past few days, I change LOs diaper in the morning and I wanted to run it smelled so bad! So I washed all my diapers and they smelled clean and the same thing happened last night! I did a full cycle without detergent and then a cycle with some Tide this morning (I was using Eco-Sprout, but it wasn't working out so DH ran to the store and got Tide aftee changing LOs diaper this morning). I am really hoping it works because everyone says Tide works best for stinkies!!! Anyways, I think it has something to do with my LO getting warm at night and it's causing an ammonia build up and there isn't enough air circulation in his PUL cover. Any ideas?

Advertisement

MommaRetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
manniewcu
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ammonia at nighttime?

If I have ammonia stink it is at night as well. I usually try stripping the diaper and then sunning it. So far that has worked for me. Maybe you could try a breathable cover. I have a Nikky diaper cover that is a breathable material that I like to use at night, but it's gotten a little to small to double up. I know wool and fleece breathe too, but I haven't tried those yet. I hope you get it figured out!
manniewcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
MommaRetz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: Ammonia at nighttime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manniewcu View Post
If I have ammonia stink it is at night as well. I usually try stripping the diaper and then sunning it. So far that has worked for me. Maybe you could try a breathable cover. I have a Nikky diaper cover that is a breathable material that I like to use at night, but it's gotten a little to small to double up. I know wool and fleece breathe too, but I haven't tried those yet. I hope you get it figured out!
Thanks mama! I didn't think about sunning, that is a great idea! I was thinking about getfing a wool/fleece cover for LO!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We struggled a lot with ammonia in night diapers at one point, but we were using pockets with MF as part of insert combo. Bleach worked really well to get the ammonia out, but until I fixed our wash routine the ammonia just kept coming back. To ban it for good we eventually removed the MF and replaced it with a pad-folded flat and then switched to a commercial detergent as well. From what I understand it happens more with night diapers because there's just so much pee that everything gets super saturated plus the diapers are on for a really long time.

If I were you I would wash with a little bleach to get things super clean and then switch to Tide to see if that solves the issue long term.

GL!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
MommaRetz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks mama! I washed with bleach the other day, but it just came back at night :/ I was thinking about getting a few pockets for night time and stuffing them with my flats/prefolds! I really hope it's gone or else I'm gonna go crazy!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd try vinegar, as an acid it will cut the ammonia (base) better than bleach (also a base) and make sure to rinse the night time diapers really well in the morning.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
77Lipen
Registered Users

I was getting ammonia stink. I RLRed everything and rinsed like crazy and so far so good

I also now prerinse everything and run them through a sanitize cycle (which heat the water up even hotter) as my wash then rinse super well.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
MommaRetz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks mama! I tried vinegar, but it made it worse because we have hard water :/
Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
77Lipen
Registered Users

Do you have access to some RLR?
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
MommaRetz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Possibly, I could check out Target or Walmart... if not, I could always order some!