Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #91
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Alxy, you may want to see if your insurance will cover a therapist too. I hope you don't take that the wrong way, but with your possible ocd issues, DH issues and this extreme battle for control with doctors, I wonder if speaking to someone could help.
I have been seeing a therapist but it really doesn't help much. I live in a small town and th therapists are not so great

Advertisement

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #92
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten

I don't know a ton about gd, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But the fact that your blood sugar is under control--with a carefully control diet and proper exercise--wouldn't necessarily mean that you don't have gd...couldn't it also mean that your gd is just under control?
It could. But even if that is the case, if I have it under control there is no reason for them to need to medicate me and all the test would do is give them an official diagnoses.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #93
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow, OP I'm sorry you have to go through all this. I'm pretty sure if my fastings were under 80 and my one hours around 120, my doc would give me an award.

I think twice weekly nst's and weekly ultrasounds are overkill for dicumented controlled gd. Are there any other health issues going on? Usually for non medicated controlled GD, they start nst's at 37 weeks, ime. I don't think any of the tests are inherently dangerous for you or your baby (the syrup is gross, but it's just one time). I had to do weekly bpp's and nst's starting at 30 ish weeks last time since i was on glyburide, and even with insurance it cost nearly $7000 out of pocket. That is not including the birth. Talk to your providers to see if they are willing space out the monitoring.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #94
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan

I'm 34 weeks. I have tested my sugars daily and they are staying where they need to be. Fasting is around 78 every morning and after meals have been around 120.
It seems that 120 is still really high.

Here's a good article I found:
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2...nancy.html?m=1
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #95
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solobluedancer

It seems that 120 is still really high.

Here's a good article I found:
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2...nancy.html?m=1
Thanks ill discuss this with my midwife on friday
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #96
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Yeah. My OB wanted me to not go over 100.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #97
gem898
Registered Users
seller
seller

GD numbers vary greatly. I think mine were 90 fasting and 120 2 hours after meals. OP: I never had a nst and only had one extra ultrasound when my fundal height was off and was only sheduled for an induction after 40 weeks. And that was with an Ob. It definitely sounds like your care providers are trying to bully you.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #98
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

I was scheduled for weekly NST's starting at my 35 week appointment. I only did one though as I went into labor a few days later.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #99
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
She asked me to take the test at 28 weeks. At this point they are just doing unnecessary testing (the not and ultrasounds) trying to prove a point. Twice a week appts for someone who has pretty much shown they don't have gd based on bs levels is just a way to scare me. They keep telling me they hope my baby doesn't die because of my choice (not my midwife, but the ob I saw cause she was sick). I really feel like its just a way to scare me and make them feel right. But I know I'm not endangering my baby. Even though my sugars have been fine in have continued to test and eat the diet and walk several times a day. Just being generally healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I don't know a ton about gd, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But the fact that your blood sugar is under control--with a carefully control diet and proper exercise--wouldn't necessarily mean that you don't have gd...couldn't it also mean that your gd is just under control?
This. This was my thought as well. Just because you have your numbers under control for the most part does not mean that you do not have GD. If you are increasing your exercise and following a GD diet and your numbers are good, that's excellent. But, you mentioned early on that the one time you "cheated" your BG was high. The combination of all of those things would lead me to believe that you do have GD and are controlling it. Please continue to monitor your BS because the placenta can cause increasing insulin resistence closer to the end of pregnancy. Many women find it more difficult to control GD towards the end of pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
It could. But even if that is the case, if I have it under control there is no reason for them to need to medicate me and all the test would do is give them an official diagnoses.
It doesn't sound like they are medicating you. Taking the test though and possibly finding out that you do not have GD would mean avoiding the NSTs and extra ultrasounds. Unfortunately, it appears that your decision to avoid one test and intervention has led to a succession of additional interventions and testing.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #100
saturn
Registered Users

I don't see what your doctor is doing as "bullying" you. Given the information that they have (a high bs reading), and without the chance to do further testing, they would diagnose you with GD. Telling you that is not blackmail.
It's your choice whether to consent to testing, but a doctor doesn't have to negotiate with you regarding your diagnosis. You don't get to refuse a diagnosis just because you don't like the consequences. I also think that the recommendations of your actual healthcare provider should carry far more weight that the opinions of people on an internet discussion board.
In any event, I truly hope that you and your baby stay healthy and everything goes well with your pregnancy and birth.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote