Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

The drink they give u is different than the carbs u would get in ice cream or a breakfast. It is made of extremely fast acting sugars so it reduces a lot of variables in order to hone in on exactly how your body is providing the insulin to counteract them. The drink is most likely just colored dextrose so it's nothing more harmful than eating some candy. I hated taking them and also didn't want to do it, but if you have ever been at elevated sugars I would rather error on the side of caution.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I asked her for alternatives or any other ways to test and she has refused to give me any options. I am fine with being uncomfortable for a test if I deem it safe. If I do have gd, pumping that much glucose into my system can't be good. I have been eating a proper diet based off of the gd chart I was given by the nutritionist at wic and have been taking my blood sugars first thing in the morning and 1 hour after each meal to make sure I am fine. If there was a different test he would allow or if she would try to find a compromise with me I wouldn't be so upset. I understand gd can hurt the baby if not kept under control, which is why I have been keeping track if my blood sugars and eating right.
So if you know you have sugar problems, and have been self treating for GD, then why are you upset they are going to diagnose you with GD?
I also agree with Sisu, they gave you alternative methods and you failed them, so to confirm they need to do the 3 hour or since you refuse, just diagnose.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #33
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris

So if you know you have sugar problems, and have been self treating for GD, then why are you upset they are going to diagnose you with GD?
I also agree with Sisu, they gave you alternative methods and you failed them, so to confirm they need to do the 3 hour or since you refuse, just diagnose.
I don't know I have sugar problems. I have only been self treating as a precaution due to the fact that I am refusing the test. Better safe than sorry. My sugars have been fine. Getting a reading of 124 isn't bad. It's out of the range for the doctors office but according to the nutritionist at wic, it isn't really out of the norm. It upsets me that I am diagnosed when I may not have it. And it upsets me that my midwife will not give me an alternate test, even though there are several other options available.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

An alternate test like you're wanting will not show it. For mine, my normal breakfast that I ate at the clinic consisted of scrambled eggs, orange slices, cottage cheese, strawberries, and water. My sugar tested at 77. That does not look diabetic by any means. That does NOT mean that I was not a gestational diabetic. Make sense?

If you are seriously worried about being diagnosed with it and want to prove that you don't have GD, you'll need to take the test.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #35
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have gestational diabetes. They believe I had it in my two previous pregnancies, but I was able to just eek a pass on the tests.

This pregnancy I didn't want to deal with a one or three hour test. Instead I took my blood sugars 4 times a day and ate what I would normally eat. It was pretty clear from my data that I was diabetic, but if I'd taken the challenge tests we probably wouldn't have known again. As my pregnancy has progressed it's gotten much worse. At 28 weeks I would have looked perfectly normal. Now at 37 weeks even on insulin and a very restrictive diet I still struggle to control things.

Was your high reading 2 hours after a meal? If I wasn't testing one hour after meals nobody would think I was having problems. My two hour numbers are just barely over 120. When my one hour could have been over 160.

I honestly wouldn't mess with this. Maybe your midwife would be more comfortable with you eating your "normal" diet for a week or two and see how those numbers look. Eating a gd diet and still having some higher readings would make me concerned too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #36
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe
I have gestational diabetes. They believe I had it in my two previous pregnancies, but I was able to just eek a pass on the tests.

This pregnancy I didn't want to deal with a one or three hour test. Instead I took my blood sugars 4 times a day and ate what I would normally eat. It was pretty clear from my data that I was diabetic, but if I'd taken the challenge tests we probably wouldn't have known again. As my pregnancy has progressed it's gotten much worse. At 28 weeks I would have looked perfectly normal. Now at 37 weeks even on insulin and a very restrictive diet I still struggle to control things.

Was your high reading 2 hours after a meal? If I wasn't testing one hour after meals nobody would think I was having problems. My two hour numbers are just barely over 120. When my one hour could have been over 160.

I honestly wouldn't mess with this. Maybe your midwife would be more comfortable with you eating your "normal" diet for a week or two and see how those numbers look. Eating a gd diet and still having some higher readings would make me concerned too.

I will talk to her some more at my appt about what some have said here.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #37
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I don't know I have sugar problems. I have only been self treating as a precaution due to the fact that I am refusing the test. Better safe than sorry. My sugars have been fine. Getting a reading of 124 isn't bad. It's out of the range for the doctors office but according to the nutritionist at wic, it isn't really out of the norm. It upsets me that I am diagnosed when I may not have it. And it upsets me that my midwife will not give me an alternate test, even though there are several other options available.
I'm with you. I think that GD is blown way out of proportion for many moms. I think that most women will have some symptoms, and getting sick after drinking a sugary, artificially dyed and flavored drink is NOT a symptom of GD.

FWIW I didn't even test my sugars. I ate a sensible diet, kept an eye on how I felt, exercised regularly, and had a healthy baby without anyone telling me that I did or did not have GD.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #38
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

I'm with you. I think that GD is blown way out of proportion for many moms. I think that most women will have some symptoms, and getting sick after drinking a sugary, artificially dyed and flavored drink is NOT a symptom of GD.

FWIW I didn't even test my sugars. I ate a sensible diet, kept an eye on how I felt, exercised regularly, and had a healthy baby without anyone telling me that I did or did not have GD.
Most women won't have symptoms of gd. I don't feel any different with a reading of 180 than I do with one around 100.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #39
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

My friend didn't have symptoms, either.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #40
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think you are crazy to skip the three hour test. It's ridiculous, IMO. What happens if you fail? They send you to a dietitian who tells you to measure your blood sugar 4 times a day, and that log is what they use to decide if you need meds or not. The three hour test just buys you a meter. This is my third pregnancy, had GD with both of my others, and this time I just flat out refused all the drink tests. I check my sugars regularly and request A1C's every couple of months.

Good luck, sounds like your provider is not being very flexible.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote