Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #71
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Sounds like this has ended well I just wanted to say that traveling an hour if its better care it's too crazy. I am choosing a location an hour away to get the care I want. I maybe regretting it when I have weekend appts but I do think its the right call. It's important to be comfortable with your birth choice.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #72
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

I refused - did two overnight fasting draws and they left me alone! I'm sorry you're having a tough time with this.
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #73
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMama34
I refused - did two overnight fasting draws and they left me alone! I'm sorry you're having a tough time with this.
Thanks! It has all been working out except they are having me do twice weekly nst and once weekly ultrasounds. That's annoying! But as long as me and baby are safe I don't mind.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #74
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
Thanks! It has all been working out except they are having me do twice weekly nst and once weekly ultrasounds. That's annoying! But as long as me and baby are safe I don't mind.
This just seems a little bit ridiculous to me. You're keeping much better track of this than most women do, and there is little reason to think that you really have GD, yet they are doing all of that extra monitoring? That just sounds like way overkill.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #75
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

This just seems a little bit ridiculous to me. You're keeping much better track of this than most women do, and there is little reason to think that you really have GD, yet they are doing all of that extra monitoring? That just sounds like way overkill.
They say they are doing it just to be safe but I kinda feel like they are just trying to push me into taking the test. But if this is what I need to do to keep my birthing plan on track and me and baby safe, I really don't mind. It's annoying but its only a couple more months.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #76
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

How far along are you? I do have GD diagnosed with the 3 hr test and started twice weekly NSTs and once weekly u/s at 34 weeks. For me it's annoying to be at the docs office that much, but it does bring peace of mind to baby is doing well. However, if I was not diagnosed with GD and much earlier in my pregnancy, I'd be refusing much of it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #77
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth View Post
there is a lot unsafe about sugar and dyes! Sugar is linked to diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.

Do your research before spouting off stuff like that. If she has no signs of GD and her 1 hour test was fine, there is NO reason to take a 3 hour. I'm refusing both because there is no reason for me to take it. In fact, my numbers would be wacky because I don't eat sugar on a regular basis and my body would freak to consume that much in one go.
She does have signs of GD though. And sugar in moderation is not only fine, but healthy. Even if you don't eat sugar on a regular basis, your body knows how to process it IF you don't have GD or diabetes. I'm not the one lacking in research here.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #78
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth View Post
there is a lot unsafe about sugar and dyes! Sugar is linked to diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.

Do your research before spouting off stuff like that. If she has no signs of GD and her 1 hour test was fine, there is NO reason to take a 3 hour. I'm refusing both because there is no reason for me to take it. In fact, my numbers would be wacky because I don't eat sugar on a regular basis and my body would freak to consume that much in one go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
She does have signs of GD though. And sugar in moderation is not only fine, but healthy. Even if you don't eat sugar on a regular basis, your body knows how to process it IF you don't have GD or diabetes. I'm not the one lacking in research here.
The worry that your body would freak out over the GTT seems to be a very common fear. But, it is not accurate. Diet is not the cause of GD. Hormones from baby's placenta are the main cause of GD. And, while many women are successful in controlling their GD through diet - oral meds and insulting can be necessary.

Sarah - what exactly leads you to believe you don't need to take the test? The number 1 risk factor for GD is pregnancy. No placenta - no GD.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #79
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMama34 View Post
Some people have fine fasting sugars but don't deal with food well (namely me.) I have never had a fasting sugar off, but if I eat more than 30 carbs for breakfast (think one banana) or have a cup of juice, (and holy smokes if I had a banana AND orange juice!!!!) my sugar skyrockets for a couple hours. So, I can diet control it but that doesn't mean I don't have it, and I test every single morning and my fasting numbers have never been off.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #80
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I understand that the risks of a larger-than-average baby are not much higher with moms who keep their GD under control? I know at least 3 moms who have been diagnosed with GD, and none had larger babies than normal. In fact, all of them were perfectly average, or even lower than average.

Here is an interesting blog post by a CNM

http://birthsen.tmdhosting930.com/?t...abetes&paged=2
Agreed. But it is the "keeping it under control" part that is of utmost importance. And sometimes that is hard. A woman who believes she is eating a healthy breakfast of a banana, toast, and a glass of milk maybe putting herself in danger with the amount of carbs she is consuming there. Two hours later my sugar would easily be in the 140s. HOWEVER, I drastically changed my diet with my diagnosis. Now in the mornings I have one piece of bread with peanut butter and a small dab of honey, making my carb intake about 25 gms with a good amount of protein. My body can handle that.

The reason it isn't uncommon for women who control it well to have lower than average birth weight, is that many women who do not have official GD eat a very carb loaded diet. Before I was diagnosed, I certainly did. For instance, went to dinner with the hubs at Red Robin. I had a mushroom burger with no ketchup and a side salad so that basically the only carbs were from the bun and a couple cherry tomatoes. I also water with lemon to drink. DH had a burger with ketchup, french fries, a milk shake, and a few bites of my son's mac and cheese. 2 hrs later my sugar was 106. Out of curiosity I made DH test his at the 2.5 hr mark and his was 147. He doesn't have GD, he just carb loaded, and if I didn't have GD I would've been right along with him. (If I did that now, I'd be over 200 easily.) So, even a woman without GD can be overloading her system with carbs which lead to a bigger baby.

So controlling frequently leads to having sugar levels lower than the average woman without GD. Does that make sense? Also, women without GD tend to think of fruit as a very healthy snack. Which of course for the most part it is, however, it has TONS of sugar.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote