Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #81
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
Thanks! It has all been working out except they are having me do twice weekly nst and once weekly ultrasounds. That's annoying! But as long as me and baby are safe I don't mind.
This is exactly what my doctor ordered when I had GD all 3 times. It WAS a pain. An enormous, time sucking pain in the rear. I hated every single moment of it. It's so hard to keep in perspective that it's what needs to be done to ensure a healthy baby, especially after baby was born and everything turned out fine. I wasn't mad, but I wanted that part of my life back.

I, too, am curious how far along you are. Insulin resistance increases the further you get into pregnancy.

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #82
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty

This is exactly what my doctor ordered when I had GD all 3 times. It WAS a pain. An enormous, time sucking pain in the rear. I hated every single moment of it. It's so hard to keep in perspective that it's what needs to be done to ensure a healthy baby, especially after baby was born and everything turned out fine. I wasn't mad, but I wanted that part of my life back.

I, too, am curious how far along you are. Insulin resistance increases the further you get into pregnancy.
I'm 34 weeks. I have tested my sugars daily and they are staying where they need to be. Fasting is around 78 every morning and after meals have been around 120.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #83
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OP I've been following this thread, and I wanted to ask you if you feel that weekly (or is it bi-weekly?) ultrasounds are more safe than a one-time GD test? You keep mentioning the health of your baby as the reason to decline the test-- if it were me, I would be way more concerned about the effect of that many ultrasounds. I'm not judging you at all, just curious.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #84
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee
OP I've been following this thread, and I wanted to ask you if you feel that weekly (or is it bi-weekly?) ultrasounds are more safe than a one-time GD test? You keep mentioning the health of your baby as the reason to decline the test-- if it were me, I would be way more concerned about the effect of that many ultrasounds. I'm not judging you at all, just curious.
I have actually just heard of the possible effects of ultrasounds and am going to talk about that as well to my midwife (she is going to love me!)
Thank you for your concern.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #85
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought that after 32 weeks the GD wasn't worth doing. I had an issue with my insurance for one of my pregnancies (on my records it said I was dead,so they wouldn't pay for my pregnancy )and by the time they decided I was alive my doctor said the test wouldn't be accurate.

Last edited by booty hunter; 04-30-2013 at 03:54 AM.
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #86
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier
I thought that after 32 weeks the GD wasn't worth doing. I had an issue with my insurance for one of my pregnancies (on my records it said I was dead,so they wouldn't pay for my pregnancy )and by the time they decided I was alive my doctor said the test wouldn't be accurate.
She asked me to take the test at 28 weeks. At this point they are just doing unnecessary testing (the not and ultrasounds) trying to prove a point. Twice a week appts for someone who has pretty much shown they don't have gd based on bs levels is just a way to scare me. They keep telling me they hope my baby doesn't die because of my choice (not my midwife, but the ob I saw cause she was sick). I really feel like its just a way to scare me and make them feel right. But I know I'm not endangering my baby. Even though my sugars have been fine in have continued to test and eat the diet and walk several times a day. Just being generally healthy.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #87
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nobody wins in this situation if your doctors prove their point. Proving their point would mean your baby is sick. I hope you and your doctor can come to a peaceful resolution. I'm glad your taking care of yourself and I hope your baby continues to do well.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #88
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solobluedancer
Nobody wins in this situation if your doctors prove their point. Proving their point would mean your baby is sick. I hope you and your doctor can come to a peaceful resolution. I'm glad your taking care of yourself and I hope your baby continues to do well.
Thank you. If anything starts being wrong, bs or heart beat, I will obviously consent to medication as treatment
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #89
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
She asked me to take the test at 28 weeks. At this point they are just doing unnecessary testing (the not and ultrasounds) trying to prove a point. Twice a week appts for someone who has pretty much shown they don't have gd based on bs levels is just a way to scare me. They keep telling me they hope my baby doesn't die because of my choice (not my midwife, but the ob I saw cause she was sick). I really feel like its just a way to scare me and make them feel right. But I know I'm not endangering my baby. Even though my sugars have been fine in have continued to test and eat the diet and walk several times a day. Just being generally healthy.
I don't know a ton about gd, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But the fact that your blood sugar is under control--with a carefully control diet and proper exercise--wouldn't necessarily mean that you don't have gd...couldn't it also mean that your gd is just under control?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #90
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Alxy, you may want to see if your insurance will cover a therapist too. I hope you don't take that the wrong way, but with your possible ocd issues, DH issues and this extreme battle for control with doctors, I wonder if speaking to someone could help.